Looking at new hydro system

I was looking to upgrade my hydro system from the cheap 5 gallon bucket setups to possibally this general hydroponics unit. My question is I contacted a local vendor near me and asked about how to hook the water chiller up and they told me that system you don’t run a chiller this system was around 400$ any suggestions on a better setup in that price range and what do I do about the chillerif I got this system just modify it?

For that system you would need to add a pump to take the water from the last bucket back to the main reservoir for the money I would diy a system using the black five gallon buckets or go bigger those buckets are three gallons and do better if they are modified. ( I have that system and no longer use it)

Wow great thanks for the info and saving me that money! Maybe I’ll stick with the 5 gallon buckets and just upgrade them thanks again

2 Likes

Just having a large reservoir can make all the difference. I got mine for nothing at the car wash.

Also, if you were to need a chiller, there are some really cool DIY projects using a coil of tubing inside a mini fridge.

I got my buddy that’s into a/c repair he is going to make me something like a wort chiller out of copper tubing to put Into my res. So I can run straight water in the chiller

Do you have room for 8 plants? 2 plants fill an 4x8

1 Like

Not right now. I got 4 autos in my 4x4 right now. Was looking at that system but was recommended to stay away from it.

1 Like

Are those Gatorade coolers??

2 Likes

I did an entirely diy system using 12 gallon totes and a 15 gallon barrel scavenged from the car wash. Put in my inlet and drain lines up high to eliminate a leak path and so far with this running in the garage my res temps have been between 60 and 70F and the plants growing like monsters. Buckets are attractive from the standpoint of cleaning but I can run my plants with 6 gallons of water under them. Hard to do in a bucket.

2 Likes