Looking at a new Growing Media tired of soil want to try something new

Any advises on aeroponic system, trna get rid of soil trying to switch to full hydro any one help!! Please and thanks want to know what yall rocking with wanting to increase my yield

2 Likes

There are a number of different hydroponic systems you can build. If you like big plants an RDWC system would best suit. If doing a bunch of smaller plants then something like an ebb and flow waterfall would do fine. Stay away from DWC in buckets as it’s nothing but trouble. Likely you will need a chiller too so plan on spending $$ on your setup if you want to do it right.

I’m running autopots and they do a good job although not the largest plants. Generally one would use coco or peat for that setup instead of soil.

If you are only familiar with soil you might want to run coco as it’s low maintenance and growth approaches RDWC. I’ve done just under a pound in a 5 gallon cloth pot of Promix HP which is pretty good.

4 Likes

Coco is a great medium, youl love it and it’s a renewable resource.

3 Likes

If you want to do hydro, I encourage you to try coco coir.

This is a real simple way to grow.

3 Likes

I run a home made, two grow site with a reservoir and a chiller. I love it!
If you choose to go that route, I’ll be more than happy help you build a system that works pretty flawlessly.
Keep us posted whichever route you decide to go. Good luck! :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

@Myfriendis410 this is drying right now. Four purple haze grown in a peat perlite mix I put together. The little 3x3 was full up

this is what they grew in. I did abandon the SIP the last couple of weeks.

7 Likes

Im trying to find a 4 site for my 4×4 tent see if I can get a better yield next round @HappyHydroGrower @beardless @oldmarine @Nicky @Myfriendis410 im open ears to anything really, most yielding and easy to use and not so reliant on power maybe idkk sometimes shit happens with power

1 Like

I have a room with a grow area of 5’x3’ and I grow two plants. If you go hydro with photos, I would suggest two plants instead of four.
You can grow four, it’s just gonna get crowded quick.
If you’d like, I can tag you in my grow and you can see what I have going on.
I would also suggest looking at as many journals as you can. :v::sunglasses:

1 Like

Alright man so 2 plants in a 4×4?? For hydro what system do you recommend im willing to try coco i could probably still use my nftg nutes, and all my gdp left are photos

1 Like

I run 4 coco 5 gallons in my 4x4

Having a growing issue but I normally can control it lol it yeilds well. Lighting is key, I also recommend autopots.

They grew a bit to much

4 Likes

Think I could use my smart pots and just buy the 4pot system??? @Nicky

1 Like

Yes, gravity feed auto watering its like coco and semi hydro almost. It’s very cool and super easy, gives you way more free time to not be in the garden or do other stuff in the garden.
Fill your reservoir, PH it and then do it again when it’s empty (mine is once a week but I have two so I do it once every 2 weeks)

Maybe Maybe not, autopots have a certain size. Honestly your best to just buy the 4 pot spring pot system and I suggest a 25 gallon flexi tank or build your own out of a garbage bucket or something.

3 Likes

I grew 3 last grow because I had a genetic issue with one.
Turned out well I been using them for a couple years now and woildnt switch to any system, they are so low miantance and the yeilds good. O waste water or run off to deal with I love it.

Don’t mind the boss there

3 Likes

I have a 4 X 8 space and would nominally grow 4 plants in that space. One under each light.

1 Like

Just started with Coco and Autopots as well. Its absolutely amazing so far… Barring anything unforeseen coming up I’m completely sold…

#AutopotArmy :rofl:

@Nicky 's autopot guide thread is a wealth of info.

4 Likes

#AutopotArmy haha yeah

4 Likes

@Nicky @CygnusX1 re using smart pot or other fabric pots in autopot xl tray. When I first got my autopot and checked to see if mt smart pot and vivosun 5 gallon bags fit in the pot sox and the tray. The fit was not as good as the spring pot that comes with the system. I stayed with the spring pot. The spring pot has a bit of a taper to it. I guess autopot planned it this way. I can certainly see other 5-gallon fabric pots fitting and working out just fine.
Curious if you are of similar thinking.
Nicky - do you use pot sox? If so, do you clean them up somehow or just reuse them? They get pretty crusty. I imagine a good rinse or soak in plain water would do them good. thanks

2 Likes

I can confirm that these 3 gallons fit well and work perfectly. Small gap around the edges but not much and it’s working well.

Gardzen 10-Pack 3 Gallons Grow… https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CTC1ZV4?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

Someone, probably @Nicky or @Not2SureYet , also said the 5 gallon bags from 247 garden work well. I’ll probably order some once I use the bags they included. Though the ones they included seem higher quality and I may try cleaning / reusing those.

4 Likes

I us some 247 tranplanters so I have seen their stuff. I think the diameter of one of the tall bags fits. It might be the 3 gallon. My thinking is to use one of these, turn the side down a bit so it is not so tall yet provides a little more volume. I did this with their 2-gallon transplanters in my Another Clone SOG and TBD

3 Likes

I use a brand called
Pot pots

I actually used fabric in them long before spring pots were available lol.

When it’s summer I spray them out with a sprayer on my deck, otherwise I re use them. Sometimes. I can sneak them into the washer when the wifeys gone and I run them on hot water with a tiny amount of soap in it.
If it’s fully caked in the salt then yeah probably rinse it, but if it’s crusty and not FULLY caked then go for another grow or two lol.

I use pot socks yes definitely! If you run a microbe product like fishshit you have to. Or roots will get into your valve and flood heck I still have to clean the trays of roots during veg from time to time.

2 Likes