Long Island New York- night temps

Temps at night getting down to 50s possibly high 40s - Cherry Pie fem . Brought them in last night - should i finish indoors ?? what to do ??

1 Like

6 Likes

Beautiful plants! It’s really a personal call. Those low temps like that will stall the plant big time. If you can finish inside, it might be best.

Good luck and keep’em growin! :+1:t2::v::sunglasses:

2 Likes

Yeah, the dip really came through last night here in Va. as well… 54f… I’ve heard (not seen) that they can low (45°) but need to return to a temp of bare minimum every single time (64?). Also consider the spread between the two numbers… 20° difference pushing the boundaries, and possibly hurting her if she’s building bud, but might be the money if in the ripening stage… could bring out the terps and colors to an extreme… I’d only try this at 9+ weeks. Make sure they see direct sun if you continue.

2 Likes

I’m in New York as well. I am trying to decide if i should harvest now. The trichomes are white, only a few amber. What do you guys think? Some buds rotted while i was away. Here are some pics.

2 Likes

Welcome to the community theres alot of good, friendly and knowledgeable people here

1 Like

Depends, Im an outdoor and greenhouse grower in BC, Canada. We finish as late as possible often with temps below freezing in the mornings. While some believe that plant growth slows, and they are right, terpines and other processes are still taking place. A heating pad or blanket around the pots would help to keep the rootzone active and thats the most important problem that potted plants have in cold weather that in ground plants can withstand a bit easier.
The big thing about some cannabis is the terpines get a major boost by cold nights and warm days. Its believed there is a protective response to produce more resin glands to protect the buds from cold temps. Not sure how true that is? I will say that terpines definitely improve with cold and warm swings. Id rather have the tastier buds than more of them.
Oh and some plants have anthocyanins in them, makes leaves turn colors, often purple or reddish… the colder temps really set that off.
20211017_121700

5 Likes

@Cannabian, when you say below freezing, do you mean these plants can withstand a bit of frost? Sometimes we get frost in early October. More often it doesn’t hit until November.

We have a Harlequin that is six feet tall and full of buds. I’d hate to lose that!

1 Like

Leaving mine out but I have no choice. I think it can take 50s at night. There are people growing outside north of Long Island still where the weather is even colder.

3 Likes

Central Jersey
707 Kush letting her ride the temperature dip …
Ending 8th week of flower

Think it’s going to be low of 46 here tonite …
I think she’s hearty and healthy enough to handle it

6 Likes

Yep they can tolerate some frost and even snow. Some more than others. Some not at all. Most are fairly tolerant. Mine have already had to sleep through 5c and zero is freezing in Celsius. My plants still have a month to go at least.

4 Likes

I’m on LI to my plants are in ground so no choice but I go along as I can hopefully got another 3 weeks not worried about the temperatures in the 40s more concerned with bud rot

2 Likes

Thank you so much! Right now our temps in southwest Virginia are in the high 40s/low 50s F at night.

December will mark a full year of growing marijuana, indoors and out… It has been quite the learning experience for me and this forum has been such a help!

3 Likes

Oct 12 2021 harvest’d last two outdoor. In NB

2 Likes

I’m in Connecticut leaving my last plant in the ground. It was 42° last night I’m letting it ride

4 Likes

Even with my indoors I finish off with cold temperatures. I love what cold nights do to my indoor crop

6 Likes