Little white bugs(springtails)?

Hi folks

Just wanted to find out what the ILGM community has to say about these particular little white bugs that appear in my soil when i water.
From all the research I’ve done I’ve concluded that they are springtails that feed on moisture and decaying organic matter…
I’m curious what actions I should take if any to get rid of them or treat them. And if they are a big threat to the plant at all. Keeping in mind I’m trying to keep all things organic .
They are really just ugly and annoying and don’t like seeing them in my soil!

Does anyone else experience these?

Sorry haven’t dealt with them before so this is just a guess but if they feed off moisture you could try letting things dry out completely and put up a yellow sticky card. That is what I did for the gnat problem I had. Do you have a pic?

What kind of soil are you using? I’ve experienced little tiny bugs with ocean forest and Happy Frog mix that I use. They tend to show up after watering. I use a little d e and yellow sticky traps. I also try and water a lot less than I did in the past. Good luck I’ll be following along to see what people think

I would put up a picture but they are almost invisible they r so small… I have to get down as close to the soil as I can to see them and then there are hundreds. And yes they do show up only when I water… I let the soil dry out good but they reappear no matter what when I water. I’ve heard most pesticides will just make matters worse . But there’s gotta be a solid way to treat them. AND yes the soil I am using if Fox Farms Ocean forest! I suppose I’ll try the yellow sticky traps… There’s just so many that appear during watering though. @neckNflu @smokin_ernie

@MiracleGro

tRY USING ODISH SOAP WITH YOU NEXT WATERING.
tRUE THEY MAY NOT BE HARMING YOUR PLANT bUT THEY VERY WELL COULD ATTRACT OTHER CRITTERS THAT WILL ATACK YOUR PLANTS AND YOU DON’T WANT THAT I’EM SURE.
if THE SOAP AND WATER DOSN’T WORK LET ME KNOW AND I’LL SET YOU UP WITH ANOTHER

AND I’EM VERY SORRY ABOUT THE CAPS I DIDN’T KNOW THEY WERE ON AND DIDN’T FEEL LIKE REWRIGHTING THIS.

WILL

3 Likes

Will the dish soap kill those things or prevent more ? And not harmful to the soil and roots in assuming?? ( the soap)

Thanks for the suggestion

Soap isn’t good for the plant root system, I would shield it, and use plant insecticide soap formulated for that use. not dish washing detergent, I think Bayer or some other biggie makes the stuff I tried and had susses.