Little help few questions on using ph and tds&ec meters

Ok just making sure I have to calibrate the pH meter before first use correct maybe someone has the same ones and could help out?

@Covertgrower @CoyoteCody @Cannabian @Happilyretired @Shaggy @AloysiusDevadanderAbercrombie

2 Likes

Not sure about that brand. I’ve heard the cheap ones you pretty much need to calibrate every use.

1 Like

I have one similar to this. You have to dip it into each solution push a button to calibrate it, then go back and verify it’s accuracy.
Forgive me on the directions part, it’s been awhile.

Since this is where we’d talk about it though, hey @Covertgrower the apera ph20 is good to go as soon as you get it, right? No need to calibrate or anything?

1 Like

It’s not that I would calibrate, as much as I would verify it’s accuracy. Just like any piece of equipment, trust but verify.

2 Likes

Got it. I got some distilled water to use it and do slurry tests on my soil and stuff. Don’t need to make any food so I was thinking about doing a slurry to make sure their soil is at a good ph. Does it matter where I take the soil from? I’m guessing lower not up top?

Depends on what part of the soil you’re most curious about. There’s going to be differences in ph at the bottom, and top.

1 Like

Thanks y’all I’m outta likes but that’s what I figured so I will do it before every use I gotta get one for soil also still I’m gonna order one tonight I think

I didn’t think about that. I guess I should maybe do both. Or try to get around the middle and base it off that. Hard for me to get runoff cuz of my setup at the moment. I’m about to play with my meter now and maybe just make a gallon of some 6.3 to give my ladies in the FFOF.

1 Like

The tds is very similar to mine, it does the job, the ph meter is going to require lots of calibrations

2 Likes

So should I test it in the 7.0 calibration to make sure it reads at 7 and then what, rinse with distilled and use in the water I’m testing, rerinse with distilled and put a little in the cap to store, right?

Ok so what should be the best reading to be around for my soil run off? And ph going in?

What’s your medium, soil?

Haha, dumb question. Ph going in you wanna be around 6.3 to 6.5
And you want your run off to be around that. If it isn’t you try to get dolomite lime or I believe bloodmeal to raise and lower the ph of your soil to around where you want it.

1 Like

Thanks @Shaggy I’ll have to pick up some after I look into it

1 Like

You will do better buying bottles of ph solution, those packets are basically single use. My pens require ph solutions of 4 I think and 7. You need to do both to calibrate. You should do that regularly, if you use the pen lots, calibrate at least once every couple weeks or at least every month. I store mine in a glass with ph7 in the bottom.

Ok I see and I can just order the solution off Amazon premixed? @Cannabian

Definitely look into it. Or ask people like @Covertgrower @Hellraiser
They could tell you more and if I’m correct or not.

1 Like

Ok thanks @Shaggy

1 Like