Little flecks that wipe off. Uh oh, or nothing?

I’ve noticed 1 plant in my tent has some small flecks that I thought looked like ash. Today I took a closer look.
What do you think? It’s been 1-3 flecks that I’ve wiped off in the past, but I want to be sure.

@garrigan62

Humidity is about 55% day, 80% at night. Temps 75-80 day, 65 at night. Plenty of airflow. I have been battling fungus gnats.

Whatever it is, it’s more waxy than powdery. It easily scrapes off the leaf in 1 piece and there’s no signs of anything under it, (in case I’d dropped some nutes while watering).

@Drinkslinger

I’m not sure either. Just no selling on this end

1 Like

Cut off a couple leaves with the “waxy drops”. I immediately put them under the scope. I can see small oblong shapes within the drops pulsing; not good.

Looks like this plant is getting exiled from the tent asap. Hopefully whatever it is hasn’t had a chance to get to my GDP.

Still looking for clues as to what it is. @latewood @Countryboyjvd1971

2 Likes

Watching. Pretty curious what you find.

Long shot, fungus gnat reproduction?

More pics

It might be these…

6 Likes

Lmao but seriously what is that?!?!

1 Like

I haven’t a clue. The plant appears pretty healthy. I may cut an infected leaf off and put it in a plastic bag. Just to see what appears.

3 Likes

It looks like there is something white or shiny in the center. Is that an egg or cocoon of some sort. Never seen anything like that before.

3 Likes

Looks like scale insects using Google fu.

Doesn’t look like pm, first pic looked like nute drops at first as you mentioned, last pics look like a pest, possible egg laying sites? Haven’t seen anything on my plants like that, but the overall plant looks very healthy, would def just keep a close eye, remove all infected leaves and then possibly spray for pests? I highly recommend Safer Soap, (safe, effective, easy to find and inexpensive)

4 Likes

@elheffe702. Good call. I’m thinking some scale insect myself. I’ve only seen fungus gnats, and the occasional sugar ant in the tent, but the tent is in the basement and I do have plenty of lumber/wood down there.

Either way, the infected plant is in exile and hopfully my important girls are bug free.

2 Likes

Maybe this will help :blush:

3 Likes

@SmoknGranny thanks for that. The honeydew excreted by the scale would explain why I’ve been seeing sugar ants. I sprayed her with neem yesterday. Hopefully she’ll be clean in a week or two and I can return her to the flowering tent.

I think I’ll call this mystery solved. :+1:

2 Likes

Glad I could help. That’s a good site as well as many other gardening sites. MJ has similar or same problems as regular plants and non MJ sites can be quite helpful :+1:

1 Like

Would love to see the scope shots. I have no idea from this image.

1 Like

It is/was scale. I didn’t take pics of many scope shots. Definitely creepy looking.

3 Likes