Little by little or all out

What’s going on everybody? I’m about to harvest two photos I was wondering if it’s best to cut from the main stem and hang up the whole plant to dry or cut off the individual branches and hang them up by themselves to dry :thinking:

2 Likes

I don’t think that one way is better than the other. It mostly depends upon which method suits your drying area best.

3 Likes

Thanks for the reply! I have a 12 x 10 Enclosed area that is temperature controlled and light controlled humidity levels around 40 to 65 I have dried one time prior to this successfully and I cut every limb off the main stem I just didn’t know if maybe putting the whole plant up was more beneficial

1 Like

What Merlin said.

It’s really a matter of how you want to do it/ personal taste. There’s nothing out there to suggest one way is better than another other than personal opinion.

You want to keep RH closer to 60%. That’s the sweet spot. 60% RH and 65 to 70F are ideal for drying.

3 Likes

The only difference I could see with hanging the entire plant vs individual branches would be a longer dry time. With the single branches the buds only have the moisture available in that branch, but with the entire plant they have access to pull moisture from the stalk as well. But either way should be fine with your RH and temps.

2 Likes

Many do it one way or the other, but I only use this on outdoor harvests, usually method 2.
Indoors, I always selectively harvest buds as the plant continues to ripen.
I’ll start when most white hairs turn color and the trichomes are usually still clear/milky.
Then I try to take the next samples at 10% amber trichomes.
Then if it’s still going at 50% amber. I rarely wait for over 50% amber.
But if I want some sleepy stuff, I guess I’ll have to wait for some to get 80% amber.

1 Like

Ok cool I appreciate everyone’s response!I’ll get to chopping here in a bit and post some pics :+1:t3:

1 Like

Tried to hang this one whole for a slow dry but it was too dense and got no air circulation.

Had to cut the center out and hang as 2 separate units.

3 Likes

I hand hole plant unless it’s to big or tangled in a net I may cut some branches but it’s whatever is easiest I guess.

1 Like

6 Likes

Nice job! :heart_eyes_cat:
I would probably take that big cola off and hang it separately. :+1:

1 Like

I put mine on a sweater dryer.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Rough estimate about how long until the hay smell goes away lol

2 weeks to never. If you get it in the jars before too many terpenes waft away.
Keep it in the dark and burp as needed until the buds start to stabilize near 62% RH.
That usually takes about 2 weeks. If kept dark and well burped the hay smell starts to go away.
I think I read it takes 6-8 weeks of darkness for the chlorophyll (hay smell) to break down.
If you screw up the dry and cure the hay smell may never go away.
So do it right. :+1: :sunglasses:

1 Like

They have been in the dry tent with ideal conditions for seven days the buds are dry but the stems don’t snap. Do you think it’s time? The buds are actually pretty dry but not crispy falling off the stems either

You are the one who has to make the call.

If you need help getting Drying and Curing right, get some tools to test and learn.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00275F5O2/?coliid=ITMT8DNKU1QCW&colid=3D82U9H9320Z5&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

There are other moisture meters to choose from, but something like this can help you!

1 Like

I have never had my branches “snap” like I would expect from what people say. I guess the snap “they” refer to is more of how it feels rather than an actual “break”. I have always had to cut the buds from the stem as they don’t break clean and have strands hanging off if I try to break them off.
I am considering getting one of those moisture probes like @Flying-High shows.

2 Likes

I appreciate your response!! I’ll check into those moisture meters for sure :+1:t3:

1 Like

I appreciate your response! In the couple grow/harvest’s I’ve done I have never had stems that “snap”. The first dry I was going off that method and they over dried, turned white widow into brown recluse lol I am leaning towards your thoughts as well. It’s not an actual snap like a twig on the ground outside more like not a green bend straight off the tree.