Little Bugs HELP

When i was water my plants this morning i noticed little bugs running around and flying. From what i can see with these 73yr old eyes they look like little fly’s. Anyone have any ideas what i can do with them. I don’t see any damage to my plants or on the plants.

1 Like

flypaper :magnet:

2 Likes

LOL i figured some one could help

2 Likes

@Deepsix, sounds like fungus gnats. I take a 2 part approach with fungus gnats. I use mosquito bits to kill the larvae and diatomaceous earth on top of soil to get the “walkers”. You could also use the yellow sticky traps to cut down on numbers as well.

2 Likes

@Hellraiser thank you very much for your help

1 Like

Anytime.

Saw a post, guy put a Venus flytrap in between the plants, it looked cool.

3 Likes

Thanks for providing so much knowledge. Following your GG grow journal; amazingly informative. Feel like I’m back in school!

Having some gnat issues into third week of flowering. When you put the mos. bits, do you completely cover the topsoil so that it penetrates the entire root structure, or do you place them sporadically? I don’t want to spray the girls at this point, so I’m looking at other ways to nip this issue before it becomes more serious. Indoor grow, and I know many houseplants have gnats, so I want to treat them as well. I put DE on the topsoil, but since I need to water almost everyday (small pots - different story), it did not provide much defense.

Once again, great to follow your journal, and even greater that you share your knowledge with everyone esp. us newbies.

3 Likes

Hey @PP3121, glad you find my journal helpful, don’t need to cover the surface, just sprinkle some on the top of the soil, don’t need a lot, one or 2 “bits” per square inch is enough to do the job. Yeah DE is best when dry, could also put some sticky yellow traps on top of the soil to help with the walkers.

2 Likes

4 Likes

Couldn’t have said it better! :laughing:

1 Like

Thank you. Have some sticky traps coming as well. I don’t want to use too much DE as I read how it could lead to drainage issues. My first grow has been going well since the troubles at the very onset with the seedlings dying. Anyway, want to try and have some success with the Blueberry.

You grow some killer crop. Don’t know if I will ever get to that level of mastery. Definitely enjoying your journal!

1 Like

LOL, Fabulous Freak Brothers, used to have all their comics.

1 Like

Thanks! I’ve been at it a long time (indoor growing since 1992) so have seen and dealt with most things that can come up in growing. I never give up, do the same and you’ll get there as well. Happy growing!

2 Likes

Does anybody know how I can start a new thread? I am only able to reply, and I need help :frowning:

Do these bugs do any harm to the plants at all? Are they just annoying or can they wreak havoc with your grow? I’m talking about the little flying gnat looking flies. Tia

No i had them in my last grow. You can use mosquito bits, diatomaceous earth sprinkled on top of the soil or yellow sticky traps.

1 Like

I heard they will harm your plants’ roots if left unchecked. I’ve had them for my whole grow so far but I have kept their numbers down with DE and clapping the flying ones.

1 Like

It would be nice to know for sure, I see em and its worrisome thinking some lower life form is going about its ordinary life cycle on my money! Rent free…no security deposit and ripping out my plants plumbing…my typical response would be a flamethrower or raid at least. I have the DE already and I’m going to lay it down and check back. The sticky fly strips are working well, not that I see none still around the soil, guess that’s a consequence for using composted material in it maybe?

the DE should help