Little black knats

Sounds like it could be thrips . Adult thrips are hard to see , sometimes they are black or brown in color . Look in the center veins of the medium size fan leaves and look for white younger thrip larvae munching on the leaf . The lighter color is easier to see . Black dots are their poop and the silver color is their saliva . I think ? Peroxide didn’t work for me . If the plants are in flower be careful what you use to rid them . Green Cleaner is a good product if in flower . Good luck

1 Like

@Okie70 I used Azamax mix with water and drenched the soil and Green Cleaner on the leaves .

thrips-marijuana If they come back I bought some Captain Jacks Dead Bug to try . They are a bitch to get rid of .

Just getting set to flip to flower, I have peroxide and Captain Jack’s dead bug, should I go ahead and apply something prior identification? Should I order lady bugs and try before the sprays?

I would try and identify asap but the sooner you get them the better . I would spray the soil surface .

@Okie70 I was reading the instructions on the Captain Jack and I think that is a foliar spray for the leaves . Do not apply Captain Jacks to the soil . Axamax can be used on both the soil and the leaves . I hope this helps you out .

Just don’t use pyrethrin.

1 Like

@Seeddog whew, thanks for the reply, I was planning on putting it on the soil also. Still haven’t found any insects except the gnats. Should I continue to postpone flipping to flower until this is resolved. Thanks again for the continued help @Hungrybud

I say flip whenever your ready . If they are Gnats I would try the mosquito bits as @Skydiver suggested on the soil . I also suggest using Gnat Nix as a preventive measure to keep them from returning . HAGD

This product works great for me and I don’t apply it to the plant at all. It’s a bait (meaning non repellant, essentially they think it’s food but it works wonders on them) I just take my plants out, spray a couple small spots in various places and then let it dry for 5 minutes. After that point I put plants back in and I’m ready to rock and roll. Eliminates adults in 24 hours and can use bti for larvae for a complete ipm control.Pt alpine fly bait

No problem anytime, i have had lot to do with Gnats and now have them under my control.

So here is one of the bastards, besides the black gnats, which are in think gone. So what is this? I have captain Jack’s and I have green clean on hand, also peroxide. @MattyBear @Sirsmokesalot @Seeddog @garrigan62 @Killadruid @Drinkslinger @SlowOldGuy @WickedAle

Looks like thrips or aphids. I’d treat with Captain Jacks and spray all your leaves and don’t forget the undersides :v::bear:

2 Likes

Aphid my man I use immidicloprid personally but if wanna go a “ natural route” there are tons of products that claim this you can try

@MattyBear is correct. Spinosad/capt jacks.
Btw the adult thrips are black and fly/hop around.

Looks like a thrip to me , but what ever it is , it has to go . A lot of bugs can breed and live in your soil so when you go after these guys it’s better to treat both the plant and the soil at the same time . Finding the right product to rid them can be tricky because the last thing you want to do is harm your plants more . Some products like Azamax works on both soil and leaves , you just have to read up on how they work and whats best to use . I had thrips and sprayed the leaves first then the next day I vacuum with a shop vac about 2" of soil right off the top of the pot , then treated the remaining soil with azamax , then applied fresh new soil to the top and lightly sprayed the new layer of soil with more azamax . I would consider using green cleaner if I had plants in flower .The same company that makes green cleaner makes Root Cleaner that is used in the soil . After I havested I wash the plants with peroxide and water deluted to remove anything unwanted . You would be surprised of the dirt and dust that washes off your plants . Now go get 'em and good luck .

3 Likes

Could be springtails. They are not usually a concern but could be if there are too many and they run out of food and could possibly start eating dying and dead roots.

I’ve had them. They are usually found in the run off in the saucer. When watching them in the saucer they randomly “spring forward” and you will know based on movement if it is a springtail.

This is the larvae of a fungus gnat

If your seeing small black gnats flying around as well you may have both. I did and used this to treat the soil using BTi critters to kill the larvae.

Hope this helps and HAGD

Thanks @Skydiver I appreciate your help, hope to be under control now, haven’t seen any more after 2 applications of capt jack, a couple plant seem to have residual damage. In flower now and hoping to make it with them without anymore problems. Am I seeing girl here, sorry about the lighting. Also with blurple led, should I run the veg and flower option blue/red or just flower, red, during flower?

Hard to tell if it definitely female in that pic but I don’t see any male parts.
Yes run both switches in on blue/red for flowering

Good read

1 Like

is this any more revealing?
@Seeddog @MattyBear @Sirsmokesalot @Killadruid @WickedAle @SlowOldGuy