Lights, power/watts, heat and ventilation, HID and LED

It’s 76x76 witch is 6’x6’=36 sq. Ft
At 50000lumens per light that’s 1388 lumens per square ft for each. Plant
So two 400 watt are right on.
You said 2000 to 3000 lumens per square ft for veg…Right. or am I figuring this out wrong.
I was wrong at first.

Will

So each pvc square is about 3’x3’?

Yes, a 400 watt with a hood/reflector like yours would normally be used to light about a 4’x5’ canopy. Yes, two of those could reasonably light two 3’x6’ canopies, that are side by side like yours.

If your 1000 watt light’s reflector hoods were open wings like that, no wonder you were having so much trouble with heat. As I was saying, a enclosed hooded reflector with ducting separating its heat entirely from the tent, with an air inlet coming from outside the tent, maybe even from outside the room the tent is in, and then venting the air out of the light’s enclosure through ducting that also goes outside the room and maybe even outside the whole house or building the tent is in, is the only way to use a 1000 watt light, or two, in a tent like that.

Something kind of like this:

http://www.idevaffiliate.com/32007/idevaffiliate.php?id=220&url=http://www.dealzer.com/6-triplex2-reflector

Yes that enclosed hood is what I should have got in the first place.
But at the time I had no idea of the heat they put out.
Now when I flip to 12/12 I could use one 1000 watt hps not two and I should be ok I hope as far as heat go’s. I do have an air conditioner in the grow room.

Will

I don’t know that one 1000 watt light would be better than the two 400 watts. Even at only 800 total watts, the lights will still be closer to the canopy than one 1000 watt light could be to either 3x6 canopy, and the 800 watts light might contain more intense lumens for the individual canopies than they would get from one 1000 watt light that is not very close to ether canopy.

Ideally, with a configuration like yours, you’d probably be better off trying with two 600 watt lights to replace the two 400 watt lights when you go from veg to bloom.

1 Like

They had the wing. At the time I didn’t know how much heat they put out. I know now for sure. That’s why I took them out and put the two 400 watts in there and when you spoke of the lumens I did some figuring out and came out ok. So I figure I should be ok when I flip to 12/12 and use one 1000watt instead of two. I can vent out the tent through the ceiling. I also have air conditioner in the grow room.

Will

Sorry I posted twice. I thought I lost it…lol

Will

I edited and added a lot to the above, but as I said the two 400 watt lights may very well be putting out more lumens per watt than the 1000 watt light, and therefor 2 x 400 watt lights close to the conopy might very well be giving the plants more lumens where it counts that the one 1000 watt light could do from high up in the center of the tent trying to supply light for the entire 6’x6’ canopy.

1 Like

That’s funny you brought that up cause i was going to get two 600 watts cause the 1000 watt is just to strong for what I have for a tent size.
Also Stoner…I noticed a big difference in the plants when I switched the lights over. They look so much better.

Will

Was hoping sumeone could give a bit of advice…me and the mrs are setting a small grow just a couple plants in a cupboard we want to start gettin diff seeds and sample wats out there…i think a 400w is wat i will need for the flowering and possibly the veg state?? But whats best for before that once its germinated and is still a seedling would that be a 15flouresent along with heated propegator ro keep it at perfect temperature?? @MacGyverStoner sorry for piggybacking on this convo in nee on here an was using this conversation to help me.

Apologies i meant a 75w flouresent or a 250w hid for the seedling into vegetative state??

No problem, I kind of made this one myself, cut from another post when it strayed from the original thread’s course, if this one strays too far from the what title implies, I can cut and move it to a new one as well.

What are the dimensions of your cupboard?

How do you plan to deal with ventilation?

1 Like

Its only about a foot and a half deep by mby three and a half wide 7 foot tall… Was going to use a carbon filter ducted out toward window into a net of pauporie jst to take some of the smell away and i have an air cooler that pumps from outside im going to duct that in to give sum fresh air now and then…was thinking top shelf for germination etc then move down below onto the 400hid and toward the end of the cycle i can have the next batch preparing above…im just not sure what light to begin with for seeding and how long to do so before i put em under the 400 beneath…??thanks for replying im trying to get as much knowledge as poss before i begin i want this to be perfect.

It always depends on the area you are trying to cover.

Yes, for seedling and clones, you don’t need that intense of light and a CFL or a few will do the job, and you can get away with using fairly low wattage CFL bulbs, like a 25-35 watt.

You might want to think about a larger veg/propagation area, but it depends on what type of grow you want to do. You might need an area for a plant getting to about half the size of the final plant’s size before you put it in the “flower” section or your area, to be able to do a “perpetual harvest” type grow and actually be harvesting continuously about every 2-3 months.

Here is an article by Robert you might want to read thoroughly:

AS a rookie myself, and a flunky trying to get my s…t together once and for all, I have been using them led’s, the cheap type, for vegging(all I am doing still), and I had bought two 300 watt Chinese made led lights to go with my 600 watt led light. A company out of china that has its warehouses in California sell a full spectrum set of 300 watt lights for $137 shipped. I know now that instead of a 600 watt led, it might be better to have two 300 watt leds for more spread out of light, but the plants loved them, I CANt see where they are doing their job for the money. I’m gonna have nothing but troubles trying to use hps duct cooled lights, I can see it coming, working out my final setup now, without any experience. I’m probably gonna discover that hps lights are great!..for large scale growers with humongous electrical grids installed, just not for a guy with a personal grow and 6-10 large legally licensed plants in a cramped up area with extension cord electrical.

Whoops, typing error, I meant to say I CAN SEE WHERE THEY ARE DOING THEIR JOB FOR THE MONEY", meaning my plants did okay until I let the older plants get too big. Just now putting them in a 8x4 foot grow tent inside my shed, plants being five months old, being sort of a case of bad heatlh and a shoulder straining injury keeping me down for four months. And then I have another 8x4 foot tent in the same shed.

Hey budbd, we both seemed to have had the same problem with lights.
With two 1000 watt hps in a 76x76x76 grow tent. The heat was uncontrollable, so I down graded to two 400 watt hops w/o fan and air conditioner. Now I have control at 78 / 82 degrees. I also have two 3x3x76 tents and a 4x6. Tent for 4 tents. 2for seedlings and clones.
One for vegging and the other for flower. Best system busy busy…lol

B Safe
Will

Well, for me, I haven’t used my hps 600 watt, I actually have two ballasts by Ipower, and two duct cooled hoods, and ya know, I almost wished I had just went full on led all the way, cause I think for my small personal grow on flowering, I could have gotten away with 400 watts, or two 250 watts, for 6-8 plants flowering. If this was winter time, I wouldn’t worry much. I think my biggest concern is enough electricity, I mean, if I have to use air conditioning, , I’ll have to likely run a third heavy duty extension cord to my shed, just for two tents.
I live in a coastal area, so temps aren’t that high generally, just during peak times in the summer, like right now coming up, if I have to I will have air drawn from under my home, through a six inch duct to the shed, have lights stay on mostly night times, etc. I mean, originally I had a plan…which was line my shed wall areas with panda plastic, bought a ten by 100 foot roll, then decided I didn’t want to rot and mold the walls of the shed, so now I have $70 worth of panda plastic I can’t use, among other things. Once I have everything setup right, I am sure I will be growing prime bud regularly, and still be in my legal limit. In Oregon I can have ten large plants now that recreational came into effect July 1, that will help. .

You can learn alot just right here by listening and reading others posts.
I have so much Into the hps lights that I can’t switch to L.E.D
Maybe later next yr.
I thought you were from there. I now live n Tn. But lived in Seattle right on the Seattle, Tacoma city line for 32 yr’s

B Safe
Will

Well, actually on the southern Oregon coast, …thank goodness, cause it isn’t burning hot temps.

? On those led’s 2 for 137 saw them on ebay are they any good also saw those led ufo’s was thinking of getting for additional lights