Lights for flowering

Hi, veging 2 plants in a 2’x4’ tent under two 300 watt full spectrum led panels. Am planning to add a 300 watt red spectrum panel for flowering. If I put the red panel between the two full spectrum panels worry about not geting enough red to the far sides of the plants. Wondering if it might help to rotate the plants every couple of days to insure whole plant is getting enough red light from the single red spectrum led panel in the middle. Any thoughts?
Thanks in advance.

2 Likes

Wow that’s sounds too good , can I see your led ? Besides I don’t think you need that much actual power

3 Likes

What brand name 300w lights?

Was a little misleading, sorry. Right now have 4 white widow seedlings under T5s (to keep them short as tent is only 5’ tall. planted 6 4 year old seeds I got from Robert back then and 4 of them came up after all that time. Thanks Robert) Will be moving them up to tent and leds soon. Have older Mars 300’s I’ve used in previous grows. Want to add the red spectrum leds to improve yield and quality when flowering. Didn’t mean to be confusing. Just wondering if rotating the plants might help to get the red light to both sides of the plant as only plan on using one red led panel between the two full spectrum. Did my other grows just with the Mars panels.

Plan on Fiming them after I get them repotted and accustomed to the Leds. Only use 3 gallon pots to keep the plants from getting to tall for the tent

3 should be fine I was running 2 ts 600 Mars hydro in a 2x4

Yeah, quit growing for a couple of years but last grow had 3 plants in the 2x4x5 tent under the 2 Mars 300’s. Got about 8 ounces of pretty good bud from them . Will grow out the best two of the four seedlings and hopefully with the extra red for flowering will get better yield. Guess time will tell.

Just thinking that by the time I’m into flower will probably have to have the plants about 2 feet apart so with the red led in the middle might make sense to rotate the pots every couple of days to make sure both sides of the plant are getting plenty of the red.

1 Like

Wow man I did 2 mars hydro 300w in my 2x4x6 closet for 6 grows! I loved those lights, I grew some good weed with them. I have upgraded to newer lights in the last couple grows. Also increased my yields by almost double and use less energy now. I was wondering what kind of red light addition you were thinking? I guess you can turn plants around I guess to get light on one side then the other. If you want to get something to help in flower you can add another one, or you can buy new better lights. I dont much about lights in just red spectrum, so no help there. But good luck @shaman15 this is my old and new.

2 Likes

Hi @Denis62 . I’ve done 4 grows with the Mars 300 . Seem to work fine for vegging but not enough red for good flowering. Had plenty of buds but they seemed a bit “airy” to me. Think adding the red spectrum for flower will make them denser and heavier. Looking at either the Carambola full red spectrum panel of the Growstar 300 UFO deep red, haven’t decided yet. I just grow because I enjoy doing it, give 90% away to friends. But its fun trying to hone your growing techniques .
Nice looking plants you have there.

1 Like

Airy buds probably more indicative of low light intensity than not enough red light. And older mars 300 was a predominantly red “blurple” if I remember.

2 Likes

Oh yeah looking great !

1 Like

I used to run my lights very close to my plants never burned once, 6 inch or so but like that it only works for 1 plant per light

I don’t know how far you run your 300w from top of plants, I kept them 8 inches from the top of plants, because what dbrn said is true, with old mars hydro burple leds spectrum is not the problem it’s light intensity.

as you can see the spectrum has decent blue and red. Additional red may help, the carabola is newer technology, the ufo is old burple of which I would avoid. but marijuana is light hungry and more is never enough. You can try adding another light, or upgrade, depending on what you are happy with. There are a lot of newer technology lights that will only improve your situation, depending on how much you want to spend. @shaman15 keep me updated man hope this helps. Happy growing :smile:

Sorry, @Dennis62 , @dbrn32 , couldn’t reply earlier as had reached my first day limit as new member. Was member several years ago but had lost my login and had new email so had to enter again.
See what you mean about the burple spectrum. Yes, will run the lights closer this year. I had kept them 18" above per product instructions last time. Will only have 2 plants instead of 3 this year so that might help too. Also, have 2 more of the Mars 300’s as used to grow in two tents, so might just go with another one of them rather than the all red panel as they seem to have enough red…Thanks to both for the heads up.

2 Likes

Just to note, I’m 72 so guess I’m “old school” . Started my first grow about 40 years ago with some 4’ flourescent shop lights. lol Actually vegged pretty well but flowering sucked. Had to smoke a lot of “shake” lol Quit growing for around 30 years, raising my kids, the started again 5 years ago with LEDs and tents. Slowly catching up. Guess you can teach an old dog new tricks. Thanks to you guys for the help. Figure on going with one Mars panel to start vegging (they will be small plants) then two panels for last part of vegging and beginning of flowering the 3 panels for rest of flowering keeping the lights closer.

3 Likes

What was your old username? If you still use same email that old account was signed up with, I can probably find it and send out password reset email.

Unfortunately what I can do is pretty limited. I can’t see/change your email or anything like that, but I do have a button that will send the email used to register a reset.

Thanks @dbrn32 but that’s the problem. The email I used back then was my old ISP and it is no longer functional so can’t get a PW reset sent. But appreciate the thought.

1 Like