LightingFor Plants

Good Morning, My husband and I are Newbies at this. We both read and read. Some apparently hasn’t sunk in yet. Trying to grow for medicinal purposes. We purchased a 4x4 tent last year. Hubby wanted to go with LED’s in our grow tent. He purchased 2 LED grow lights. Wattage advertised was 600 watts per light. Brand is PHLIZON. We are finding that the wattage isn’t what its advertised to be apparently and our plants are suffering. So unfortunately we haven’t had much in the way of production with our auto-flower. Our auto plants are only producing apprx. 1 oz per plant. We are trying to grow for medicinal purposes. We grew some Auto Flower BlueBerry and now we are trying Auto-Flower White Widow.Its been somewhat of a struggle. My husband wants to stay with Led Lights. We are trying to grow 4-5 plants at a time. We use Robert’s Nutrients per his directions but realize the lighting is a big issue. Can’t afford much over $300 for another light. Can you recommend a reputable company that tells the real story on the wattage that work perhaps do a better job with lighting for 4-5 plants in a 4x4 tent? Thank-you. Sure would appreciate your help. Appreciate you folks muches…

2 Likes

You came to the right place. I’m a new Grower myself. I’m getting educated quickly on lights, nutrients, soil, ph levels, ppm levels and all the other factors in being able to get the most out of your efforts. Everybody here seems to enjoy helping us newbies out. The only advice I’m able to give is to read as much as possible, look through as many beginners threads as possible. I’ve been able to begin to understand many things that I didn’t know I needed to know. Good luck, and don’t worry someone will be able to help guide you to the best choice when it comes to lighting.

2 Likes

Kind of same situation. I purchased two 1000W blurple lights from amazon not knowing any different. After reading about lights mostly on here I just purchased a light from Budget grow lights. I’m going to use this along with the two blurple lights until I can get another one from Budget. I got a 250 watt RSpec for $299 shipped. Went with Budget because of three year warranty and $50 cheaper then HLG for same light. Haven’t gotten it yet but Budget was very prompt with email questions before purchase.

2 Likes

That’s where I got my lights. I’m really happy with products. @dbrn32 directed me to video on YouTube on how to build a light myself . After I harvest current crop I will be building a custom light for my next grow.

4 Likes

I think it was your reply that got me curious about Budget. Thanks!

1 Like

@dbrn32

2 Likes

They treated me great . I ordered on a Friday night and received my order following Monday morning. They also upgraded my order because they had sold out of what I had ordered.

1 Like

I figure with that light and the two blurple lights I should have enough light for a 4x4 tent. Max watts for all four lights should be around 500 total. Hoping it will be enough.

I started out with 2 viparspectras in a 4x4. Was able to grow 4 OG Kush autos. Just like most starting out you don’t know ,how much you don’t know.

1 Like

Pretty much like starting any hobby. Starting riding MTB 6 years ago started with a modest bike and now on a $6k bike. Somehow I see this going down the same path:joy:

1 Like

Here is a link to my DIY light build and a pic of on going process. The one thing I didn’t want to go lack of was the lights so I’ve been staying on top of those above all else as far as budget

6 Likes

I think what y’all need to understand is watts is a very bad reference for light output. It really is not the way a light is measured. If you want to do any studies this is where to begin. There are numerous videos explaining PPFD and other methods of measurement. It seems like this misunderstanding is why Amazon is selling ship loads of useless lamps. What good is a 1000 watts if 500 is heating your grow space? Why do I want 690 watts in the wrong spectrum? Why do I want to look at blurple lights? It makes identification of issues an ass pain! Don’t put good money after bad, do yourselves a favor and start with a good understanding of what light is and how plants use it. Understand the types of measurement and why it’s used so you can get some idea of the crap manufacturers are shovelling!

1 Like

Bomber buds there!

1 Like

Thank-you so much for your encouragement. We are trying like many to grow some for medicinal purposes. Hubby and I are Seniors and again like many have found out that sometimes the Senior Years aren’t very pleasant. Anyway thank-you and Happy Growing.

2 Likes

Thanx so much for your response. We didn’t realize that 1000watts was not what the actual watts were that we were getting. Apparently when they advertise this it is a bit misleading. So now we are gonna try to find a good Led without breaking the bank for 4-5 plants in a 4x4 tent. Anyway thank-you…Happy Growing…

1 Like

Thank-you…I appreciate your input. I have been reading various articles & studying this for several months now. Some of it can be somewhat confusing even after reading and studying for some of us though…Still again thank-you…Happy Growing…

1 Like

I’ve mentioned this a couple times in other post, my wife was on oxycontin for about 12 years. She nearly died twice as a Direct result of that poison. so when I say growing has been a lifesaver I literally mean it. I bought my Led lights from budget led. @registereduser mentioned that is where he got his light. I’ll recommend read light threads for beginners, you can find a lot of information there. Hopefully more experienced folks on here will help you find the right lighting for your needs.

I also bought a BudgetLED light. Went with the 480 watt for my 4 x 4, and it really lights it up well. Warmer than I thought it would be, but great for a basement in a Michigan winter.

2 Likes

Have you made any progress on a light yet.

Hi There Steve, Not as of yet. Checked with where you said you got yours and they apparently sold out of their lights. Sent a message to see when they might be getting more in and about how much the cost…We reside here in Mi. There is a place in Traverse City Htg Supply that carries a brand called Agromax (Raw 270 Watts) whatever the raw means I don’t understand…You said yours is a 480. is that the actual output? Thank-you…Appreciate you trying to help us…