Lighting system

I am just getting started on indoor growing and am considering a nice set up from Costco. It’s a 2 X 4 gorilla grow tent with the following lighting system. Before I spend the 1,000.00 on the package, what’s everyone’s opinion of the provided lighting system. I’m a expert gardener but complete novice on indoor growing.

K3-L300 Kind LED Grow Light
After years of rigorous research and development, the KIND LED Grow Light is complete, and it is a complete work of art. The K3 series LED grow lights are comprised of high powered 3 Watt Light Emitting Diodes featuring a proprietary intensified spectrum designed for flowering large yields.
This revolutionary series of LED grow lights will produce the biggest and best yields, while consuming approximately half the electricity and producing virtually no heat. Your Kind LED Grow Light will cultivate record breaking yields, both in quantity and quality, while running quieter, cooler, and more efficiently than any other grow light. A Little Kindness Goes A Long Way. Tks`[quote=“ted26, post:1, topic:1161, full:true”]
I have a full spectrum led panel. The description is:
Wattage: 14W
Working Voltage: AC 100V-265V
Working current: 300mA
Lumens: 420 LM
Lighting Area: 18 sq ft
Lux: 1M/890, 1.5M/520, 2M/400
Wavelength nm: Blue 460nm, Red 630nm, Orange 610nm, White: 10000K
CRI: > 85

Will this type led work with my aeroponic/dwc system that I have ordered?
Any info is greatly appreciated!
[/quote]

A`

I have to yield to MacGyver_Stoner on this one. I do not use ED.

I do think that a 2x4’ tent and an LED lamp system is expensive for 1999. bucks. Also; A 2x4’ tent is going tobe only good for 1 plant, or for a veg room with only smaller young plants.

I suggest you look at the Main ILGM forum, towards the bottom, you will find our buyers guide. There are tents and light systems there, and link to the store where you can find other options.

Peace lw

p.s. will tag NacG for you. :slight_smile:

Thanks late wood for the response. First off, the price was 1000.00, not 1999.00. Secondly, due to my incompetence with a iPad and copying, my list contained two extra paragraphs! I only wanted opinions on the first one, K3-L300 kind grow light.

What really caught my attention however was the comment about the 2by 4 tent only being big enough for one plant. I though I could get two in there??
Thanks again

First I can say, yes, growing 2 plants that have about 2’x2’ canopy should work well in a tent like that, I don’t see why you couldn’t. But the plants get big fast, and easily one plant could fill that entire area.

I never endorse any name brand light out there. Even though I am a big proponent of LED systems, I absolutely believe pretty much all of these big name brands are way over priced. Extremely excessively so.

I build my own, or do some research on some of the better Chinese models – that are being sold at a reasonable price.

What I can tell you is that 14 watts would certainly not be enough for a 2’x4’ foot footprint. Even with the best LEDs, it is generally recommended to have at least 35 watts per square foot. But many use up to about the same watts recommended for HID lights, and that is 50 watts per square foot.

A 2’x4’ tent would be 8 square feet. Even at only 35 watts per square foot, you’d need at least 280 watts.

After doing a quick google on that model of light to see the specs as reported by their own website, it appears this light is using more than 14 watts, and uses actually 220 watts. And also they claim the light to cover only a 2’x3’ area, and so it looks like it would be a little short for that size tent. Also the light by itself, it seems to be valued at about $600, and again, I think it is highway robbery, lol.

In my opinion you should be able to buy a light at least as inexpensive as about $1 per actual watt consumed by the light system, and so I wouldn’t pay more than about $220 for such a light. And in fact you can even find decent lights as well priced as about 50 cents per actual watt, and so a 220 watt light would be about only $110.

But you need to do the research, and understand why many Chinese lights are actually made out of the exact same internals as these more expensive lights, however, you really need to do the research, because a lot of fly by night Chinese companies are also selling complete junk.

Happy growing,

MacG