Lighting Sufficient? Minimal stretching normal?

Was this 400w MH HID sufficient up until transplant today? Is that length of stretching considered common? Always have the same issue. Doesnt ever get worse but Ive never had luck with the fluorescent keeping shorter either…?

1 Like

Light sits 12-14" away and is warm and not hot on any plants. Will transplant into 6 inch bags nearly up to leaves…but how can this be prevented easily sooner? 10 days from soil break.

I think it’s because you’re using a 400 instead of something more like a 250. My first light was a sunsystem that had the option of either using a 250 of 400 and I never started at the 400. I would have to change bulbs and the light had an internal ballast to handle both.

1 Like

250 would be more beneficial for next couple weeks then… or even some T5 fluorescent as opposed to a 400w?

Whats the cct of your bulb?

1 Like

that stretching is a little excessive,

how old is your MH bulb.?
might be time for a new one…???
do u have a simple light meter.?
WIN_20181001_17_35_07_Pro

1 Like

That’s a pH meter isn’t it? @MattyBear will know😉

1 Like

@Missiles that meter tests three variables. Lumens, ph and soil moistness

2 Likes

it was marketed as a Multi-meter, ‘Soil pH’, Moisture, and Light (candle power i think),
the pH testing SUCKS and is VERY inaccurate.!
my pH probe had an accident, but now i can probe thru the drainage holes to test moisture.!! lol
WIN_20181213_23_16_48_Pro

this is a pH meter, dependable and accurate…
WIN_20181001_17_33_52_Pro

1 Like

About the only thing those soil meters are good for are seeing if your soil is still moist and looks but yeah there crap regardless

4 Likes

Yes soils damp and dont have no Lumens tester. Whats you take? Too much stretch? Transplanting into deeper larger pots today. Bury close to leaves. Also would the 400W MH HID cause this? @Hogmaster

1 Like

Looks like a natural stretch to me does that with any kind of light

2 Likes

the light meter works great also.!
every ‘soil’ grower should own one of them.!!
at $15 about 20 yrs ago it was worth every penny.!

those cheap light meters will not test a light, but it will provide great info on coverage.

1 Like

MH is a great veg light,
stretching occurs if the light is too high, old bulb, and/or excessive heat.
what is the temp at the seedlings with light on.?

2 Likes

Yes may be light distance and or cooler temps in room until I got it stabilized. Right now my temp is sitting 21 at leaf height 22 about 2-3 inch above. 20 at pot base in shade

2 Likes

T5 is 230 watts with 4 tubes

Ya but 6500k cct which is awesome apparently

1 Like

U got the link so I can see the prices I keep hearing every one talking about them are the cheaper

1 Like

What numbers on that type light meter are good for the plants? I use mine to make sure canopy is equally lit