Lighting spectrum king

Has anyone used the spectrum King closet case led was thinking about buying two to supplement my lighting going to do 10 autos next grow and want to maximize my yield

Hey run a quick search on the forum here, there are a few people that have used that light and have given their results.

There is a real Spectrum king and a fake seller the real ones are ok for 400w units that is a replacment for a 800w HPS but you need lots of head room because of how they run the heat sink and they cost alot for a 400w light
The fake ones are cheap and nasty but they do grow pot but are only 150w max real terms and are a match for a Mars 300w light but cost more and will replace a 250 HPS. There is little to no customer service with the fake seller where Mars has a good history and the real Spectrum King has a fair history too.
The real spectrum king looks like an old factory HPS light with the heat sink on top light this one

1 Like

They just came out with small 100w closet grow lights check out there website people are doing amazing closet grows with them and they just made a new 600 watt flat led light it looks crazy but it’s 1400 and I don’t have that for lights yet.

I think they are good lights but cost too much but not over priced for what it is
you can make that light for $400 your self if you really want to

1 Like

I found this in my Notes I think you’ll find this it’s right up your Allie.
P.S it’s large but very informative.

Will

SPECTRUM KING 400
have recently purchased 4 of these lights. I am currently doing a side by side comparison using one Spectrum King 400+ in a 10 X 5 X 6 grow tent and a 600 watt HPS in a similar 10 X 5 X 6 grow tent. I am running 12 plants in each tent, using a single light and a Jupiter 2 light mover. Each tent has plants grown from seed, with plants placed in the grow tents at the same time, and running the same nutrients, feeding cycle, temps and pH. (100 litre nutrient reservoir feeds both grow tents) In this manner, anything that happens in one tent will naturally happen in the other tent. In each grow tent, I have three different strains, so each grow tent is identical in every way, right down to the positioning of the individual plants.
Each tent has a charcoal filter, and a 10 inch extraction fan removing stale and hot air, and a 10 inch fan introducing fresh air into the grow tent. These fans run through a controller that controls the speed of each fan, maintaining temperature and negative pressure in each grow tent.
Growing from seed, I allowed each seedling the same amount of time under the propagating lights before moving to the grow tents under the 400+ Spectrum King and the 600 watt HPS. All plants were well rooted in rockwool 1 inch cubes, then these were set into 3 inch cubes. When roots were through the 3 inch cubes, all plants were transferred into 23 litre pots, with expanded clay as the growing medium. Initially I was hand watering, while I waited for a new pump for the automated feeding system. Each pot received 2 litres of full strength nutrients every three hours while lights are on… Light cycle is 18/6.

At week 4 in the veg cycle, both rooms are virtually identical in height and width of plant. The difference is that under the Spectrum King 400+.LED, the lower areas of the plant are much more advanced that the lower levels of the plants under the HPS. My thinking is that there is better penetration from the LEDs.
So far I am pretty satisfied with the performance of the LED compared to the HPS. The heat from the HPS is at times a problem in one of the tents. The LED has no heat issues. In fact, low temperatures may be a problem as we head into the cooler months.
I will be going into flower soon, and will be interested to see what results I get from the LED. I will add to this post as time goes on, and in the end, compare results of dried product when the cycle has finished.

Just as a side note- I purchased these lights after reading up on their website, then talking to the people who make these lights. I also got onto YouTube and looked through all the videos there relating to these lights. I made my decision based on my own research. Quite a few Canadian growers are using these lights, and provide good information on the performance. When I purchased these lights, after I had allowed for the exchange rate from US to AU , the cost for 4 was almost $8000 AU. Then the import duty bill came in - another $2000 AU. SO I am pretty much committed to these lights until they pay for themselves.
I can get the DIMLUX EXTREME SERIES 630W PHILIPS CDM Ceramic Metal Halide CMH DIMMABLE BALLAST for $1700 AU but they still have the heat issues, and the power usage issues. If the Spectrum King 400+_ lights don’t do well, I will look at these as an alternative. However, if I can get a good harvest weight using LEDs, then I am happy to stick with them. Time will tell.

B SAFE
WILL.

2 Likes

Thanks will… I’m going to pull the trigger going to get 1- 600w and 2- 100w spectrum King lights to supplement my 2-300w LEDs going to try 5 to 10 autos of the blueberry and NYC turbo diesel.

White light (or the yellow thru to green) spectrum are more important then most makers of LED seem to understand
With out the white light you do not get the harder weightier nugs this is why alot of LED light fail to give the same quality as HPS lights.
This is why I have swapped to Cob based LEDs but some LED sellers have changed to a white light by adding alot of the green yellow and white leds to their units as have I

1 Like

These are the lights I’m going to order @Iva what do you think

Here ya go check this out @Iva

Here is a break down of the electrical magnetic spectra near the photosynthetically active radiation, or PAR, range:

720 - 1000 nm There is little absorption by chlorophyll here. Flowering and germination is influenced. At the high end of the band is infrared, which is heat.

610 - 720 nm This is the red band. Large amount of absorption by chlorophyll occurs, and most significant influence on photosynthesis. (promotes flowering and budding)

520 - 610 nm This range includes the green, yellow, and orange bands and has less absorption by pigments.

400 - 520 nm This range includes violet, blue, and green bands. Peak absorption by chlorophyll occurs, and a strong influence on photosynthesis. (promotes vegetative growth)

380 - 400 nm Start of visible light spectrum. Process of chlorophyll absorption begins. UV protected plastics ideally block out any light below this range.

315 - 380 nm Range of UVA ultraviolet light which is neither harmful nor beneficial to cannabis plant growth. Although some studies do seem to indicate this band might stimulate resin production, as THC does seem to have UV blocking properties, and these frequencies may be able to stimulate the plant to create these UV protecting resins without actually having toxic or negative effects on the plant’s biological function.

280 - 315 nm Includes harmful UVB ultraviolet light which causes cannabis plants colors to fade.

200 - 280 nm UVC ultraviolet range which is extremely harmful to cannabis plants because it is highly toxic.

And above these wave lengths dwell the very long radio/TV waves (even microwaves), and below it resides the ultra short X-rays and gamma rays.

~MacG
Posted by gattigan62

They are a great light very well made bullet proof and the guys are good guys.
The price is high if you can deal with that get one.
They are very heavy so not good for a tent plus the height of the light it self and the min height from your plants
make sure you have room above your plants you need 10 foot floor to roof to use these lights well
You will only need one 600 or a 400 if you add your current lights too
You can make these lights for less dont forget that but if I had the money and room this would be my light
But I would still make my own because I can and have a remote power supply to get the heat out of my garden

Thanks
Thats handy all on one place
I broke my par meter (we are having floods here and water got to it) and needed to order a new one $1256 ouch not happy Jan

I wish I had an electronics background or I would make my own. Yeah I have 12’ ceilings in my grow room so I should be good.

1 Like

You dont need to be sparky or even solder anything its all push fit now I was supersized too
I made this as a test with no solder or anything just pushed the wires in it runs at 36 volt so it all safe (dont put your tongue on it tho) this one is about 250w at the wall and out puts around 800w ish in HPS terms but until my new quantum meter gets here I am guessing
I added a dial so I can have it at 10% to 100% light
I am building this for a friend who is more disabled then me :slight_smile:
It going to have a coiled wire to the light when it arrives

1 Like

Ya I hear that’s sorry to hear that about the flooding. And @usmcjojo I have alot of info on ligjting if you have the need for it. You to @Iva

Will

Here is a better pic see it a white light

2 Likes

Now that’s nice . Awesome!r…totally I’m impressed

Will

My mate was growing in a built in wardrobe (fire risk) so made this stealthy and simple

Have a watch of this!
Click Here

This guy has some great grow vids using these lights too

1 Like

I’m subscribed to his videos actually! I’ve watched most of them already, but I still get intimidated when it comes down to building my own LED. He makes it all look so simple!