Lighting on a budget?

So I’m just a few weeks out from harvest and the plants didnt grow all that great I have a couple amazon blurple lights that I want to get rid of. I was hoping to go with qb’s but the issue I have is I cant just go and spend $600-$800 dollars on them. So how practical would it be to just buy bits and pieces at a time and slowly upgrade? I have a 4x4 tent.
P.S trying to stay away from hps and all that due to heat and energy bill

2 Likes

@dbrn32

1 Like

You can or you can piggy bank it or
You could get the supplies to make a led strip light, make the light, save up, buy a ballast, and then order strips as you can afford them.

2 Likes

I recently built DIY light. I posted in DIY light thread. I would link you to post but not sure how to do it. I have become a fan of building your own light. You can build a superior light for half of the cost of a retail light. Another advantage is you can buy components over time until you get everything you need to build a kickass light. @dbrn32 is the one give you the best advice. He is the one that directed me to video on how to do it. Take a look at video and see if it’s something you can do. This light cost me around $400 to build.
Photo Boost Strip DIY LED Grow Light Build - YouTube

13 Likes

@Dushin91 I was pondering the same thing this morning; It’s fundamentally a question of cannabis home economics. How much do we spend on cannabis currently. Anything we can do to reduce that is a net win. The grams per watt potential of some LEDs is really impressive, making them a solid value over time. If you aren’t paying for electricity, or if it’s been affordable so far, your current lights are a bird in hand.

@Bulldognuts that’s really cool. What would a comparable light cost to buy assembled?

1 Like

You could always add one QB with the lights you got next grow add another QB. Just a thought good luck

4 Likes

To be honest I’m not sure. I’m thinking that some of the quantum Boards would be similar in out put, but I was attracted to the uniform spread of light output of this design. I’m getting ready to build another one to use in a 4x4 area. I will be able to raise and lower each light independently of each other based on my needs of growth of different plants.

5 Likes

Do you plan to flower a 4x4 area with that light? Did you need any tools outside of what you purchased for $400?

Each light will be 22" wide and 46" long. Every inch of 4x4 will get uniform coverage. Definitely will use full power in Flower stage. May have to turn back during Veg. This will be only my 3rd grow. I’m getting pulled into the vortex of wanting to keep upping my game, and I’m loving it. Actually I’m rounding up. No special tools. Watch video pretty simple build

2 Likes

The Quantum boards is a quality LED light you can get the job done with 40 watts per square foot. Blues purple lights going to need to boost up to 50 watts per square foot

1 Like

Color me confused. Are you saying you need 2 lights for uniform coverage over a 4x4, or are you saying a single light casts even coverage over 4x4? If it’s the latter, are the LED chips individually lensed?

I was scared off of home built lights by people sinking 100w COB LEDs in mineral oil. But this seems doable.

1 Like

The build spec’s says it’s for 2x4 space. I just decided that I would do 2 for 4x4 area. I am growing for wife’s medical needs. Probably going overboard on actual needs. My first grow was with 2 450 Viparspectra’s. Had good results. Only problem was the buds were super larfy. They looked good and was really potent but overall didn’t produce much weight. I just decided that I want to get as much production from my limited space. Second grow I used 2 260w Rspec led boards from Budget led. Had good results nice tight nugs. I had intended to do Photo Boost strips before I got 260s but strips weren’t available. Now I hope these lights will be all I will need for a while. I’m not trying to get anybody to do what I decided to do but just putting it out there so people new to growing like me knows that there is a lot of options

3 Likes

Wanted to mention also, the PLC strips sell out quick. If you are leaning towards doing this build, go to Pacific light Concepts website and sign up for email alerts for preorders. After you preorder it takes about 6 weeks to receive order. Which actually is one of the original points I wanted to make. For someone who would want to slowly acquire components it may work in your favor to have that time to get the rest

3 Likes

Did you purchase the heat sinks 46” long?

Yeah I went with 46inch length and 22 on the 80/20.

If you go to PLC website you can download spec sheet for everything. It also includes all links for components.

I would look into doing 2 different fixtures. For example, two qb 260 xl kits is a great option in a 4x4. You could certainly build two from scratch too. But you have to figure you will be around $600 bare minimum when all said and done.

3 Likes

I am looking are upgrading to a 4x4 tent and 2 new lights. I’m just working through the logistics now. I have had good results with the HLG offerings. I like the Pacific Light esthetics a little better. I have a lot more research to do comparing the different lights output. At the end of the day that will be the determining factor.

2 Likes

I see that hlg has a sale going right now. For anyone interested but before I make any decisions I need to do a lot of research because reading all this info is like reading a different language lol

1 Like

Yea its a bit of info overload. As someone suggestd above. U could always buy one. Grow with it. Then buy another when u have the cheese. It took me months to store up the coins to build my own. Worth every penny tho

2 Likes