Lighting-MH/HPS

I’m looking for someone to explain the major beneficial details of using Metal Halide during veg and High Pressure Sodium during flowering vs. High Pressure Sodium throughout the entire life cycle.
From what I have read, due to running Autoflowers along side Photo-Period, I would be perfectly fine running the HPS throughout.

@dbrn32

You would be fine running hps from start to finish regardless of it being auto, photo, or combination of both. The biggest difference will be how plants respond to primarily blue light source as opposed to a primarily red light source. You’ll have longer node spacing and likely taller plants vegging with hps.

4 Likes

What type of hps r u running?

Not sure of brand. It’s my friend’s he’s letting me use it as long as I want. It’s 1000 watt and the ballast is adjustable from 50%-125% power

Single or double ended jw

Not sure haven’t seen it yet he just told me about it and that I can use it. I’m meeting him Thursday to grab it

1 Like

He just said it’s single ended if that’s what you mean

1 Like

O ok I was just curious I’m a fan of the mh/hps grows. I run a hortilux bulb in mine kinda pricey some people swear by them some dont. That’s what I meant.

1 Like

Is that sort of a mixed bulb? Blue-MH and red/orange-HPS? I’m new to these lights

He also just said he’s heard great things about the hortilux bulbs

1 Like

It’s ok mh is it’s own bulb u use it for veg. I’ve had plants dog good with them. It is a bluer light. The hps is it’s own bulb also it is more of.a yellow red light. Used for flowering works great as long.as u can keep ur tent temps in the mid 70s

1 Like

here is kinda what the hps looks llike

1 Like

Minus the blurple light in the background

1 Like

I’m not in a tent. Im in a large open basement, approximately 25’ square. Right now I’m fighting to keep my temps UP to 70+
I’m thinking it’s going to be perfect

I would section off some of the basement with some reflective boards just maybe even on 3 sides and leave the one side open will help ur plants

I used my 600w hps in my basement it’s amazing the amount of heat that comes off them. I’m thinking about getting a ceramic hps for my next grow with mh/hps

here is an example of the different lighting they emite

I had mh/hps and it was just 2 hot for my grow space switched to quantum boards and I dont have a heat issue anymore and my plant are growing way better and it’s only been few days

1 Like

I hear you there I went to qbs also I went from this

to just 2 qbs that wiwill cover the same amount of space.

1 Like

If I could go back I would not have spent the money on the mh hps but would be good if needed to keep grow space warm

1 Like

here my first autos also

1 Like