Lighting hps suggestions first time grower

Ok first time grower. My harvest will be in a few weeks. Right now I am using a 1,000 w LED full spectrum. I have a 4x8 grow tent. I am looking at switching to hps lights because it has been a really slow grow and I have read that hps is the best for yield and shortening grow time. I was wondering for a 4’ wide x 8’ long x 8’ tall grow tent what watt should I go for. I am considering the double ended high yield 1000 w kit. Here’s the link if any pros would like to take a look? https://growace.com/grow-light/1000w-grow-light-kits/yield-lab-professional-series-1000w-air-cool-hood-double-ended-complete-grow-light-kit.html
My question is would this be too hot for my tent and will one be enough to light my whole grow area? Thanks for your replies in advance and happy growing to all…

1 Like

not too familiar with the double ended 1000w lights,
i think it will light a 4’ x 5’ area…???
2x DE fixtures in your 4x8 tent would do great.!!

2x of these would rock that 4x8…
https://growerslights.com/collections/horticulture-lighting-group/products/horticulture-lighting-group-600h-quantum-board-led-kit these would cost the same or less then the DE if u factor in 5 yrs of bulbs.!!
also… less electricity used and less cooling needed.!!

idk about the Yield Lab light, it definitely ain’t no Gavita.!

1 Like

what is your time frame on those lights from seed/start to harvest? because with my current LED I am passing 90 days already I planted my girls in early or mid october last fall and I have watered watched ph in soil and water kept humidity at correct levels and gave correct nutrient amounts according to what I have learned and just now getting the little thorn looking starts for flower. If a grow takes longer than 90 days I am losing valuable time. I also am on a 10 hr. light/ 14 hour dark schedule because 12/12 wasn’t getting results… I had to trouble shoot that one myself through reading I discovered someone with a similar issue and shrugged my shoulders and said well it can’t hurt I guess. Lucky me it looks like it is going to be a great harvest from the amount of “thorns” I see, but it is well past 90 days.

1 Like

I’m a newbie only my second grow and I’m using a 400 watt mh/hps light. It’s too small for my grow area plus I’m in a wide open room. But I think @dbrn32 can help he’s the expert on lights. If I had a 1000 watt mh/hps bulb it would probably look like trees in my grow space here’s a pic of mine just 34 days into 12/12

and I had to switch to 12/12 after 5 weeks because my closet was too small and I have 7 ft ceilings and I am only using organic soiland fox farm trio.

3 Likes

Are u growing autos or photos and can u post a picture?

1 Like

I run 1000 watt hps in a 5x5x7 foot tent and i love it,i run 2 fans inside,one fan pulling fresh air in and a 6 in blower pulling air through the light andnthat seems to keep my temps in range year round,i do run a small heater in the tent during the winter months

2 Likes

I am growing auto fem I can’t post a pic now as they are resting in the dark but I will get you one tomorrow.

1 Like

I’m growing black widow photos so mabee @MattyBear @Covertgrower can help more than me

3 Likes

120+ days is quite common for regular plants germ to jar.!
this is why some of us do perpetual grows in 2 or more grow ‘rooms’.
quality light will not speed up the grow much, but it will produce bigger/better buds.!!

u could section your 4x8 in half or into a 4x2 for veg and a 4x6 area for flower.!

3 Likes

it just hit me…
an auto flowering plant has been bread with Rudaralis,
it does not need a 12/12 or 10/14 light schedule to flower,
this may actually slow down the plant, prolonging maturing…???

2 Likes

I was thinking :thinking: the same thing I don’t do autos but what bulb do u use the mh or hps for the grow. And what is the light schedule?

1 Like

My white widow autos, which were under 400hps and 400mh, went 13 weeks in my first grow.

2 Likes

I think they look good! Were you asking about footprints of light? 400 good for about 3x3, 1000 for 4x4-5x5.

2 Likes

This is @Smallfriends thread :thread: I was jus getting u to help him or her out abt the lights

1 Like

@Smallfriend what are you using for lights?

1 Like

Im dropping some black widows as soon as i can kick these girls out of my tent. Any suggestions on growing her?

3 Likes

I’m jus using organic soil and fox farm trio. And using there feeding schedule. I wasn’t using it right when She was in veg. I was only using the big grow I wish I would’ve known I could have been using the big bloom too. I know they would even be better than they are. Good luck and may u have many large colas :+1::v:

3 Likes

currently I have a 1000 w full spectrum led… was considering hps… 1000 w set up for my tent.

2 Likes

I was unaware what should the schedule be?

i think 18 on, 6 off, but i have never grown Auto’s before.

1 Like