Lighting... Do I need more?

I have an ac infinity 2x4x6 tent.
I finally have some photos that want to grow for me. They are Bruce Banners.
I’ve only managed to grow a few very small autos that gave me some even smaller buds that were very light and fluffy.
I’m reading that not enough light can cause that.
I have the vipraspectra xs2000 in above mentioned tent. Plus I have 2 of these extra grow lights, one on each plant, like so

Trying to reach in to those dark spots and the big main light is 18" above canopy.
Do I need to buy a second xs2000?
Those big fluffy bud don’t amount to much.
Or should I wait it out to see what I get first with what I have. I’m on my third week of flower. I keep reading that lights cause it so I’m just wondering if I don’t have enough.
The xs2000 says "Perfect for 4’x3’ vegetative coverage at 24”and 4’x2’ flowering coverage at 20”
Ps…I can’t tag anybody for some reason.

7 Likes

Everything looks great! Yeah if you can fit another light in there, I would do it.

3 Likes

Too many lights is not a problem I’ve ever encountered.

I wouldn’t spend the money on Viparspectra lights, to be honest. I’m team Green Beams all the way, though. 240 watts for $180 or something like that.

6 Likes

I also use a 2x4 tent, and I purchased a refurbished hlg 350r. Seems to be doing the job pretty well. On my second grow. First was a gorilla glue auto that I got 7 dry ounces from, and my current OG kush photo. I would recommend it.

9 Likes

2 xs2000’s would light those babies up nicely! Plus, you have the advantage of raising or lowering them separately to accommodate for different plant growth!

2 Likes

Hey @duhneese your light looks to be up to it for your tent size.
Here’s a ppd light chart for that unit

Not sure the HLG350r is a good fit for that size tent. 6x6 layout

Answer these simple questions the best you can. If you aew not sure, just bring it to our attention. We will figure it out.

1. Indoor or outdoor? - size of grow?
  2. Otigin of seeds?
  3. Regular, feminized, or autoflower?
  4. Origin of water. PH, EC/TDS of source water?
  5. PH and TDS/EC of if mixed solution?
  6. Grow method? Soil, Soil-less, Coco, Hydro, Aquaponics. Please explain.
  7. Nutrients or fertilizer system used.
  8. What typr of lighting are you using? LED, HID (MH, CMH, HPS), or Fluorescents? Please elaborate.
  9. What are the temps in your growspce? Day / Night?
  10. What is the RH = relative humidity in your growspace? Day / Night?
  11. AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier?
  12. Do you have a Ventilation system? Size? 4", 6"?
  13. Co2 Yes / No?
  14. How long have you been growing?
  15. What budget have you set in order to grow successfully?
  16. If you grow hydro, then please explain your hydro method. DWC, R-DWC, Ebb and Flow, Or; Other? Other?

16b. Size and temperature of solution in reservoir?
I’d recommend you fill this out so the forum can take a look at your whole operation.

If you are in the market I’ve had great performance from HYPHOTONFLUX HPF4000.
They have an improved 2022 model I’d love to have.

HYPHOTONFLUX 2022 PRO-480 LED Grow Lights 4x4 ft Full Spectrum with UV IR, Dimmable Daisy Chain Commercial Growing Lamp for Veg Bloom Flower, 6 Light Bar Samsung Diodes 3000k 5000k 660nm 385nm 730nm

2 Likes

HLG350r as well here in a 2x4x8 tent. Replaced a single Spider Farmer SF2000.

I’m happy with it! Definitely an upgrade

4 Likes

Frankly I don’t trust any of these lights other than the HLG due to them being the only one that offers third-party spherical test data. Plus the fact that Viparspectra has made outrageous claims about other lights in the past.

I would like to see you with something around 30 watts per square foot using gucci lights. 50 watts per for anything else.

You are right to target lighting as the main cause of loose, airy flower but autos often produce them anyway. You may be surprised at your photoperiod plants’ performance.

6 Likes

The viparchina light would not even make it in the house much less the tent. Those PPFD charts are complete and utter china fraud. The leds are bottom of the bin if not sweep ups from the floor. The 350R’s PAR chart is done on a 5’ x 5’ grid. If done on a 2’ x 4’ like the fraud viparchina light the 350R will produce those numbers if not even better with top bin lm301H EVO leds and a much better driver. Not to mention my 350R’s are solid 330+w light measured with a Kill-a-Watt and a amp probe, voltage and ohm’s law calculations. But people keep supporting the china fraudsters with there money…

7 Likes

Yeah I always try to read up first and then head to the forum and ask as well. You people are geniuses. I’ve only had bad luck so far with the autos anyway. Except one grown started inside then put outside bc it was already starting to flower so early. It has been butthott here in my area. So as usual it was small and ended up only a little 1/2o

It’s still in jars curing. I mean it’s really good. There’s just nothing to it lol. So I am just in my 3rd wk of flower and I think these are going to do better but I just wondered if I needed to get more light to them. The vipraspectra xs2000 gets me plenty of recommended dli and ppfd. And I have those two small blue and red lights to help out with the lower areas and the area in the middle of the plant that I can’t seem to LST and DEFOL enough. I’m getting enough light to burn leaves here and there.
I want the best I can for them but, I think I may need to also learn as I grow. That’s unfortunately the best way I’ve managed so far. I guess I will continue the course and see what I get and make a decision from there. As always thank you for you input I try to learn for all you. I’m just slow and old so I may ask you the dang question again next week… But I’ll try not to lol
Btw… These are my girls at the moment

3 Likes

I would rather support made in America all day everyday… I’m new to all this growing so just starting out I had to go with what I could find, once I decide if I can really gro and I gotta admit, trying autos first just about made me give up quick, but I’m learning more and this is just my first time growing photos, get me a couple of successful grows and then I’ll invest more time and money in to this. And I’d love to have u help me find the right American Made products. Thank u ! :+1::v:

5 Likes

Thoughts on BOUTIQUE spectrum vs FULL spectrum

• Eliminates wasted energy/heat
  • Doesn’t use orange/yellow,(low PPFD 242.40
  • 8’ Light bar
  • 210 W

Would you use this led light for VEG/FLOWER?
Why or why not?

1 Like

Welcome to forum, not familar with your light, lots of guys who can read between the numbers will be here shortly :grinning:

1 Like

Sorry, just alittle info for yhe next guy, he or she will ask you size of space your looking to equip and possibly budget incase they have alternatives

Hey thanks Mosca, no doubt they’ll come out :laughing:

Honestly, all I need is a an honest Y/N based on the information above
I’ve shared in other forums and I know everybody wants all the information on grow size, budget and all the other equipment.

8ft light bar, nice to have the space. Lots of our gurus like DLI and such to get someones lights tuned in for best situation. Maybe dialed in is better term. End goal, everyone has good grows. Lol old new guy, 60 plus, maybe a month here.

I get the feeling, that sometimes these gurus feel like docs delivering bad news sometimes.

The chart really doesnt show much, no ref on left as to be joule/umol which in away shows efficiency. The bottom is standard to which alot are cut copy and paste from good companies.

Not sure about 210 w. Again new guy intraining.
This guy can deliver the goods, have liked his approach, gives it to you straight.
@dbrn32

3 Likes

Same here. Refurbed 350R in a 2x4. Just pulled 15 oz from four Zkittlez autos. Zero complaints. Gonna have to start asking HLG for a commission. Lol.

3 Likes

I’m curious to see @dbrn32 ’s thoughts on this as well.

My general thought is the sun produces yellows and oranges. I sort of boldly assumed that plants required the 3000k-4000k spectrum to be able to make use of the chlorophyll and convert light to energy. I read that somewhere - Modern Farmer? - and believe it totally.

The thing I understand to be true is that light spectrums are tailored to the plant’s needs, and it’s no accident that HPS/CMH/fluorescent/LED lights all have the white/yellow/orange in common. Chlorophyll reacts to a similar spectrum of light as the light we see. There are other compounds in a plant that do react to the distinct colors in the light spectrum - that’s why you sometimes see blue, pink, purple, etc cannabis - things that have more of those light converting cells and less chlorophyll- the green on the plant - especially closer to end of life of the plant.

All of that was a real long way of saying I think the chances that it’s a play to take advantage of misinformation is very high.

As an aside, I did a quick Google and absolutely found the other forum(s) where this question was asked. I had to shudder a bit when someone suggested Vivosun lights as a “not cheap” and “quality” light. :grimacing: they’re fine, yeah, I use them to veg, but … quality isn’t a word I affiliate with them.

2 Likes

I wouldn’t, reasons as follow.

1. Not enough to determine ppf or total light output of fixture. This is the number that would ultimately tell you how much canopy light would cover.

2. Not balanced light spectrum. These lights with extreme peaks in blue and red intensity are difficult to see plants under and don’t typically result in production of healthy foliage. Like the others mentioned merely hitting most photosynthetic efficient wavelengths does not provide all ideal plant response.

3. Lack of specs like output and efficiency are pretty much admission that they aren’t competitive. The manufacturer has this information, just refuses to publish because would probably lead to less sales. It’s way easier to post that their light is great without actually providing any information to support.

2 Likes