Light transmissibility of domes

Just for fun and maybe useful, I was wondering how much light does a clear dome pass and how much light of the desired colors does it pass, or filter. Best info I found is a study looking at food packaging and degradation of the product. With a chart specifying wavelengths and percentages filtered. Backwards speaking for their purpose, glass is number 1. Polycarbonate is next best, clear PET next, all 90% or better above 450nm, PETE around 60%, and the rest are pretty bad. Tested on flourescent and LED lights.

And that chart is incomplete and lacking I know but don’t want to just steal their work for here…

1 Like

Did you figure in the water droplets from misting sticking to the dome???

1 Like

No didnt think of it.

2 Likes

I do have to lower my seedling light (Hlg 65v2) for the dome and when i pull the dome i have to remember to raise it.

1 Like

really eh I wondered but never spent more than a seconds thought til lately.

2 Likes

For seedlings I suspect slightly lower intensity is acceptable provided blue spectrum 440+nm is not filtered out. I use a 65w Chilled X1 mini with veg spectrum light for starting seedings through early veg. I also use a 7" tall Mondi dome. I set the light on max just above the dome and forget about it.

4 Likes

Alot of people will buy a standard led bulb and pop the dome/diffuser off to get the maximum photons out of it.

1 Like

Don’t know much about seedlings and their relationship with light, but I do know I have a seedling in a very thin plastic cup nearly only 6”-8” from in between two SF1000 at full blast and the plant is unfazed, I don’t think that’s normal

I started mine outside in full sun then under houseplant lights directly over them for a total of 18 hours waiting for my sf1000 to arrive. I started them 2 ft away for 18 hours, changed to 24 for 3 weeks, now down to 18 again as they are starting to show pistins. They look amazing

1 Like