Light Schedule for Seedlings

I know you will… :sunglasses:

@OGIncognito @Pinboy @The_Chef @danniep40 ok, class is in.
plants were asking for water. I watered each one with approx 3/4 gal, 6.5 ph. I added approx 3 teaspoons of molasses as well.
The 3gal pots hold approx 1/2 gal of water so the 3/4 gal allowed for measurable amount of runoff.
So, here are the #’s from the runoff. I measured it from individual plants, but here I’ll just provide average.
I’m hoping someone can explain these to me.
ph going in: 6.5 runoff ph: 5.8 - 6
conductivity: 3.6 (?). TDS: 1.8 for three plants and one read 3.9 (?!)

So, I don’t understand any of these #’s. Don’t even know if they were taken correctly. This begins the new frontier for me.
Again, much gratitude for your assistance!
Pic is of plants right after watering. :peace_symbol:

1 Like

Srangter in a strange land by robert hielien" I grock you." Havent heard anyone use that phasre in years

1 Like

The TDS and PPMs are kind of the same. TDS is total dissolved solids and the PPMS are parts per million. We use it measure the water source, nutrients that are mix d and run off to know what to feed next. Cannabis has recommended feed schedules using these. Some go off of EC or PPMs, either will work. Your PH is low for soil though. That range is 6.2-6.8 with 6.5 being the sweet spot :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

A bit of old school from an old dog

Ok. I guess you’re referring to the ph levels of the runoff? So what does this tell me if my water ph is 6.5 and the runoff is 5.8? And what to do to adjust?
And for conductivity - I think you said below 1000 and you feed?
So for example I had a plant reading 3.0 for EC and 1.5 for TDS.
Is the 1.5 1500?
This is my confusion.
I know what EC & TDS represent. It’s the actual #’s that I don’t understand.
Warned you I’m an idiot…

1 Like

With the PH being low and no visual issues, I would feed or water at 7.0 for the next several rounds. If there was an obvious issue I would recommend a flush. Yes the 1.5 is close to 1500 PPMS and soil will carry higher numbers than coco. I run coco and stay around 1000 but again no visual issue so you’re catching all these upfront. Adjust the PH and water only to run off will drop the PPMS.

1 Like

Ok. So to make sure I’m getting this about ph. Ideally I want 6.5 for runoff. Whatever the readings are I make adjustments with next watering/feeding to get to the 6.5 mark?
And for TDS levels go by nutrients feeding chart?

1 Like

Yes, I only flush as a last resort to correct PH. The PPMs to TDS correlation is the parts per million of the total dissolved solids in the nutrient solution, medium if a slurry or run off or just checking your water source. Each nutrient line has a feed schedule by growth stage that will list these. If you’re using the FF trio I would go 1/4-1/2. I like mixing a test gallon and write those numbers down in my journal for future reference :love_you_gesture:

1 Like

Ok. For a bit more clarification - is it a result of too high of tds count that diminishes ph level?

1 Like

Sometimes the higher PPMs can have an affect on the PH with a build up of the salts and minerals in the root zone not being rinsed away with run off. I did a little research trying to find a definitive awnswer… tagging the more experienced cultivators for a little better help and explanation. @AfgVet @Covertgrower would my assumption be in the ballpark??

2 Likes

I have 3 gallon pots as well so i feed my plants 1 gallon of water with 3 ml cal mag 10 ml big bloom 5 ml grow big 5 ml tiger bloom ph to 6.5 to 6.8 then on flush i run 2 gallons of distilled water thru each plant then 1 gallon of tap water with nutrients right after flush. Then let dry for 3 days

1 Like

So by your process I’m not supplying enough water when I water. I’m not providing any nutrients yet as the ff of is providing them - at least that’s my understanding.
I’m only providing enough water to accumulate about a cup or two of runoff. Sounds as though this isn’t enough? I’m guessing that nutrients will be necessary in a week or so, which is why I’m trying to get my head around this to be prepared.

1 Like

I have included CalMag, molasses, and Easy Weed for roots every other watering

I am new grower but have done a ton a research on this site have read the grow bible and watched countless video’s and everyone does things different i was sharing with you how i do it if you can use it feel free but your plants look fine to me. Main thing is ph water and check them runoffs once the PPMs get below 1000 start feeding your plant. When you start feeding start at week one on feed chart and go from there

1 Like

@danniep40 i really appreciate your take here, and your point about multiple ways to get to the same outcome. Sometimes too much analysis creates - well you know…
Thanks for your input!

2 Likes

No problem anytime i am still learning to

1 Like

Those run off numbers are definitely in the range except the PH. I would have expected the FF medium to have lower numbers by now looking at your plants age and in flower. This medium is usually depleting around week 5 to numbers around 800 or less. The amount you’re seeing in the run off seems in line as well. I would water in at 7.0 and a good liberal run off and catch the last bit of run off this time instead of the routine run of test. This is more in line with testing the run off from a flush just not using the amount of water used to do so.

3 Likes

The plants have been in the Happy Frog/Ocean Forest mixture for 5 weeks tomorrow. Maybe my testing procedure is flawed. :man_shrugging:t3:
But you have provided a ton of useful info for me. I think I’ll be watering again towards the end of this week. I’ll try it again.
Thanks for making time for answering all of the inquiries. I appreciate you! :peace_symbol:

1 Like

Actually, it’ll be 4 weeks tomorrow in the ff soils.

1 Like