Light meter recommendations

@GreenCoat @dbrn32 @MoneyPit @JD419WhyWait @SlowOldGuy Saw this on Amazon search. Any recommendations for not a pricey one but one that works?
Thanks
https://www.amazon.com/Dr-meter-LX1010B-Digital-Illuminance-Luxmeter/dp/B004K0A7I6?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B004K0A7I6

2 Likes

Oh thats fancy huh? Lol
I just downloaded an lux reader on my phone. Probably not very acute, but i keep them in a general lux area. And it was free

1 Like

I’m with @Budtastic I downloaded the one to my phone. I think I have used it twice.

I love mine, but it doesnt have one feature that one you posted does. A sensor on a bungie cord. Having to put my head over to barely read a screen sucks, but i find the use is immense to own a lux meter. I helps me really hone in my lights. The difference 1" can make with your grow can be the difference to an extra ounce, at harvest maybe?

2 Likes

Replace me for @dbrn32 … i got nothin :laughing:

1 Like

If you’re buying a light meter you should shoot for apogee quantum sensor. Will measure everything without needing correction factors. You can’t measure blurple with a lux meter. Even white light you need a different conversion factor for every color temp. If you’re not getting something that will measure radiometric energy properly i probably wouldn’t buy one at all.

4 Likes

I found not caring about that stuff better for me. It’d get me confused for one, but i just wanted to see where the brightest spots were for distance to canopy. For me, by keeping lights between 40 and 50k lux with MH is where i saw the plant perform best. I don’t need to know what all that other stuff does. Just making sure the lights are a best distance, and the equipment you have will do the rest. I’m only starting my 2nd grow, but that is just what and how i have used a lux meter. Would being able to adjust lights a 1/2" at a time to get the plants at the best distance. That they seem to be performing at. If its 14" on one grow, i can keep pace with it by moving lights easily to where they need to go with lux meter, and since HID light bulbs lifespan is so short, you can check that lux range is now arojnd 12" from canopy say, and not 14" like on first grow. It lets you keep evaluating HID lights for deterioration you could say.

2 Likes

@JD419WhyWait I totally agree I only want it to pinpoint were the best placement for optimum grow results. Thanks

i know this is gonna get some static, but…
i still use my $15 ‘multi-meter’ for light placement,
WIN_20181001_17_35_07_Pro

up to 200 candle power is good for clones/sprouts,
500+ is good for veg, and 1000+ is good for flower,
this is not LUX, but it still shows me light intensity across the grow area.!!
if u get one of these do not order from Amazon, they r shipping bad meters.

2 Likes