Light leak = seed weed

My problem I got, light leak from turning on bedroom light to smoke my bong may have caused me to screw up a bunch of buds!!! Here is what I found, I looked super skunk over real close and saw swollen calix shown in square, I didn’t notice object in circle, but it fell off that leaf and landed right on the bud I was looking at. It was a spent shriveled up male flower!!!

So here’s my question: Will only pistols that caught a male pollen grow seeds? Or dose being pollination trigger the whole plant to grow seeds? It looks like swollen calix seem to be below where I found the flower, but I’ve always caught the male before contamination… hope someone will answer so I know what to expect. Thanks

1 Like

@Hellraiser @Myfriendis410 @kellydans

1 Like

That sucks, wish I could help.

1 Like

Thanks Zee didn’t know who to tag, appreciate it

1 Like

@Covertgrower, saw him on post a few minutes ago.

2 Likes

Yes, but this pollen is like radioactive waste spewing into the air. One of those sacks are capable of pollinating more than you think.
Everything is still consumable, you’ll just need to pick through seeds.
The seeds will carry this hermie trait with it. So I wouldn’t recommend using them.

11 Likes

I actually found another on floor of pot so 2 of them, I also run fan so I get it. Thanks man… it’s week 5 of flower so has a way to go, and she’s pretty frosty so should have the goods for good smoke but for seeds lol. Thanks again

1 Like

Yes only contacted areas will be potentially pollenated. Some pollenation will be unsuccessful. Expect some seed

2 Likes

I see several splitting calix, thanks man

Yeah they are like little grenades! The weed will still be enjoyable, just seedy. Throw some seed in the soil at your local cop shop!

5 Likes

Ha ha oh what a thought

2 Likes

I got a small grow and normally pull them out and check because I have been lucky and caught two other plants throw male flowers. I’m sure it’s my closet and not being able to alter anything. I got sloppy and started turning on bedroom light and I can see from outside when my lights are on so they can see me out smoking their sister lol

3 Likes

Some strains are just more susceptible to hermie.

2 Likes

I hate that for you that’s a bummer. If you ever get the opportunity with a male plant out in the wild and it’s ripe take a stick an tap the stock and watch the millions of pollen particles blow into the air. And just imagine a female plant a few feet away with those Sticky Buds it ain’t got a change. Just my thoughts good luck moving forward

5 Likes

Hey @Cannabian I just had a thought, would an increase of light intensity cause a hermi, she had one 100w hlg board, giving her 25w per square foot, then last week I harvested and I added a second board increasing 50w per square foot at one time? Would that have been a stresser?

Hey @Covertgrower @dbrn32 could you guys please read last post an can I get some ideas, I thought light leak but could it have been increased light? Thanks

Probably genetics.

2 Likes

Could have been, could have been light leak too. Some genetically more prone to herm as well. Hard to say for sure.

1 Like

Thanks man its a learning experience

2 Likes

Some plants are sensitive to any kind of shock and some seeds are genetically predispositioned to hermi. Some are super hardy and almost impossible to kill. Sometimes it’s 2 different seeds of the same strain…

My dogs attacked some 4 node babies a while back. 2 were totally destroyed. 1 looked rough, but possibly salvageable. 1 looked totally salvageable.

The salvageable one hermied at the 4th and got put down the garbage disposal. The rough one is in her 3 week of flower and looking tasty… :man_shrugging:

Better luck next time.