Light, greenhouse, clones

Hi all, I would love some input/advice here:

I am very new to all this. Running my very first crop. Getting advice from a friend who has been growing for a while, BUT, this friend is often EXTREMELY difficult to get a hold of. Four days - no response to calls or texts. This is typical for him, and, even though I really appreciate his help and input, I often come across things that I have no clue of, and I struggle to find answers online too. I hope this forum will be of help :slight_smile:

PART A

So, I have outdoor plants that I’ve been growing in a small greenhouse since roughly 10 December. (BEAR IN MIND - I AM IN THE SOUTHERN HEMISPHERE, SO THAT WOULD BE LIKE 10 JUNE FOR NORTHERNERS). They are now in bloom it seems (and even this, I am still very unsure of in terms of my ability to understand/know/recognize when the plant is flowering). Upon scouring the internet for thoughts, I came across the issue of street-lights. I then realized that there is a street-light about 25 - 30metres from my greenhouse. The greenhouse is on the flat-roof slab of my house. First floor (not sure if Americans regard the first floor in the same way the English do? We refer the ground floor, then the first floor above that. I believe Americans may refer to the first floor as the one on the ground? Whichever way, this is not on the ground floor, it is one level up - first floor/second storey). Thus there is a clear horizontal entrance of light from the street light.

So, how do I know whether or not this light will influence my plants. I am aware that many growers have indicated that street-lights at that distance did not entirely stop their plants from flowering, but, I have also read that often the flowers/buds are poor/weak quality due to to much light at night.

So, I want to setup some form of curtaining inside the greenhouse to block the light. Would it be sufficient to block only the direct light from the street-lamp, or should I be considering the reflected light off the neighbouring roof/own roof/refraction caused by the greenhouse material on its own roof etc? Or, further, is it even an issue?

At last conversation, my friend indicated that the plants are about 6 to 8 weeks from harvest.

PART B

About three weeks ago I cut two clones off of each of my larger plants, and these clones are steaming ahead. Transplanted them from seedling soil to 10 litre pots yesterday, and they’re still looking good.

The last time I spoke to my friend about the clones (about three days ago), he indicated that I should have them under 16 hours of light to delay their turning. To do this, I have to acquire an entire new rig, as I cannot do it in the greenhouse - the other plants are there, who need LESS light, not more. Another individual said that I should not be concerned about getting the extra light for the clones…he specifically said that they will turn when they’re ready, and I should chill and simply run them next to the current plants.

So, any suggestions/ideas thoughts on this?

PART C

If you will allow me (yes, I realize I am writing a novel here - forgive me, but I am quite desperate for any input), one more issue:

The clones have only been receiving water for the past three weeks. Upon transplanting them, I thought I should add some PRO SOIL, or start with a nutrient schedule. But, as mentioned, I haven’t been able to garner comments from my advising-friend for three days, so I’m a little unsure.

Would anyone be able to advise? Should I be starting them on a nutrient schedule as yet, or should one still wait a while. New growth is clearly visible on them. Bearing in mind that their mother plants from three weeks ago were about 10 weeks from harvest at time of cloning.

Thanks all.

About your nutrient question, remember, a clone is as old as the mother plant. And I recommend this to everyone. Always start nutrient out at half or quarter the recommendation. Now about the street light problem, I’m not sure

Yes the street light can cause issues constant light leaks can cause buds to be underdeveloped and even worse they can cause it to hermie or pollinate itself becoming seedy. You are best to block as much of that light as you can. If you can’t block it all out then definatly at very least block all direct light from it.

1 Like