Light burn, over water, or paranoid old man?

My little has recovered nicely over the last couple of days. She had crawled out of her rapid rooter. This morning she had a hint of yellow. My light (Mars II 900) is 26 inches away. It’s on 24 hours a day. She gets a few sprites of pH 5.8 water a day. She’s in a humidity dome at 70-80%. The humidity cycles depending on how damp the inside of the dome is. The inside of the dome also gets sprayed a few times a day. She went from this

To this in 3 days

Thank Yoy

7 Likes

@Covertgrower @dbrn32
Thanks to you guys she’s made it this far.

5 Likes

Awesome!

3 Likes

@dbrn32 Do you think 24 hours is too much light? I’m worried about the little yellowing in the center.

1 Like

No, running 24 hours should be fine for a week or two. New growth comes out yellow pretty often, or that can be from water too. Are you using a dome?

1 Like

Yes, in a dome. The humidity in the dome was 80% so I opened the dome vents and now it’s down to 60-70%. Should I be keeping the rapid rooter cubes barely damp to the touch or a little wetter? I know this is somewhat difficult to explain but any rule of thumb would be appreciated. Me thinks the wife is over watering.

1 Like

Looks too wet, like its damping off

1 Like

Not any more @HornHead :grin:

@GoneFission she really looks 100% better. You know she’s growing good, when you see what I describe as “lime green growth” in the center. As she gets older and develops more tops those will be like that color green as well. As the growth ages it’ll turn a darker green, and “normalize”.

When you see roots poking out of that rapid rooter be sure to transplant asap. That way you don’t stall her. After transplant and she develops about the 4th set leaves, she will appear as if she stalls a bit. Don’t worry she’s just making more roots at this point. She will take off again.
When she gets larger (about 6-8”) you can drop the light down a few inches every week. I wouldn’t say any less than 12-15”.

2 Likes

She only has a little tap root poking through the bottom of the rapid rooter at this point. Surely I shouldn’t put her in a net pot at this point.

1 Like

Hydro, you’ll end up top feeding for awhile. But you could throw her in there. I’m not a hydro grower, so I’m not sure exactly “when” you can put her in there.

2 Likes

she looks over-watered to me,
irregular/swollen leaves, funky color…

i would suggest ‘soil’ for your first few grows,
hydro can be very unforgiving.!

1 Like

I’ve had pretty mediocre luck with rapid rooters and seeds. It’s too easy to overwater or accidentally let them dry out.

Just soaking the seeds, then planting seedling specific gives me almost 100% results

2 Likes

The new growth is always lighter at first , that little guy is so small it hasn’t had a chance to get a def p. Problem . Let it dry a little befor watering again , let the roots stretch a little.

2 Likes

@Covertgrower You were absolutely correct! Second set of leaves coming in and the yellow is starting to fade. Thanks man.

And thanks to all who responded and eased my troubled mind. This is a wondrous group and I’m here to stay. I hope I can contribute something meaningful one of these days to give back all I’ve received and all I’m going to receive.

3 Likes

Right on! Exactly what’s going on.

1 Like

UPDATE @COVERTGROWER @DBRN32 I’ve been reading the forum this morning trying to get a feel on when to put the girls into net pots. There’s a wide range of practices. Everywhere from germinating in the net pots to waiting until the plant is 12-15 inches tall. So here’s a couple of pics. @Covertgrower if I remember correctly your not a hydro guy but I tagged you because I wanted you to see how one of my girls (Mary) is doing. You helped me about a week ago when she had crawled out of the rapid rooter.
I’m looking for opinions on whether to let em grow or move them to net pots.
This is Mary

And this is Jane

I am thinking on waiting another week but I have no experience and no basis for that opinion.
Thanks all!

1 Like

I’m not a hydro guy either, but you’ll need to do something with them.

1 Like

@GoneFission if you have your hydro set up, you’ll want to top feed until the roots hit the water below.

Just bury them in in the clay pellets and they should be good. They’ll seek out the water in the clay media, and at this point they might stall a little on the top for growth, but they’ll be working overtime down below.

I always tag @peachfuzz and @TDubWilly and @bryan for verification of my hydro advice. I only know enough to be dangerous.

EDIT (phew just in time before it disappeared)
Don’t forget to feed a low 200ish PPM’s also. Hydro as you know has no nutrients.

2 Likes

Thanks for the feedback and thanks for tagging some hydro guys. I just didn’t know the window fire print these girls into their buckets.

1 Like

Just an opinion. What size netpots? And do ya place the seedlings straight to bottom of pot and cover with hydroton? Or do ya put hydroton first and put plant to top of pot? If ya put on top then you end up with roots 3 inches further from water and requires an aggressive top watering till roots grow into reservoir. I never told how I really do it cuz I didn’t want to be told how wrong it is. I put transplants directly in bottom of netpot, add hydroton and then raise the water level to just barely touching bottom of pot. No top watering or misting, just a cup over each as humidity dome for a few days

2 Likes