Light Bars vs Light Boards

Which one is better?

1 Like

well i heard the bars are superior to boards when it comes to equally spreading light coverage. I don’t know personally though because all my lights are boards by HLG.

3 Likes

In my 5x5 I have bars and they are spread so the edges get coverage. My 4x4 has a board and since it’s not as wide I feel like I need to spin my plants to ensure those outer sites get light.

3 Likes

If all other things are equal, whichever provides more diffuse light would be superior. But all other things are rarely equal, so total light output, efficiency, light spectrum, count and arrangement of boards or bars, and many other factors should all be considered.

A couple years back i spent a ton of money building an uber efficient bar styled light. It turns out that light is so efficient that i can’t get my canopy temps high enough for ideal growth rates. So i could have spent less building a ligjt that works better.

2 Likes

How you feel about the xs4000 vspectra? Or do you only build your own? I could build one but I’m a beginner.

Can one say that both are valued tools in the toolbox. Rarely does one tool get the job done.

I’d spin my plants even if my coverage was sufficient just like mama adjusts hers in the widows for sunshine.

1 Like

In comparison to which other lights? You could do worse than vipar, but you could do a lot better too. Outside of maybe a couple of extremely overpriced lights or rare deals/coupon codes, you’re pretty much going to get what you pay for. I think for all around experience if something you like is available refurbished from horticulture lighting group and you have a decent coupon code this will probably be most bang for your buck.

2 Likes

I dont have light bars, but I would think bars would allow heat away from top of the plants.

1 Like