Light Advice for New Grower

I am upgrading to something other than CFL/LCD for the first time. I am considering the 315W CMH CDM Grow Light sold by Topolite on Amazon for $160.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06WVFZZHF/?tag=greenrel-20

I would be putting this light in a 3x4 grow tent,

Any thoughts, comments, suggestions appreciated!

1 Like

Ultimately you would need two of those to properly cover a 3 X 4 space (12 sq. feet). One would get you through veg with all plants. Keep in mind that heat is an issue with these lights so you have to plan to exhaust that heat (cool tube) probably on a separate exhaust. If you are in a cool climate these are wonderful or if you are in a basement or good climate control.

4 Likes

I agree, you are kinda between cmh lights in a 3x4. A 315 good for up to a 3x3, 630 for 4x4.

2 Likes

You may want a remote ballast for ease of setup (light weight) in a tent, plus they’re plug and play no adapters necessary.

3 Likes

I purchased one similar to that one and took the ballast off and spliced the wires. Now my ballast is on the outside and heat is no too bad. I got over 10oz off last plant in a 2x3

4 Likes

I did the same thing! I wired my own ballast to save money, then the prices went down, now a ballast like the one above are under a hundred bucks, I like the Sun Systems reflector (above) it focuses the light downward for deep penetration to the bottom limbs, it’s ideal on a light mover track or circle.

3 Likes

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I think I will wait a while before making any changes. I already battle heat issues growing indoors in Louisiana. Thanks for cooling my jets…lol

1 Like

Is that tent a 3x4 single environment or one of those perpetual grow tents where you have a 3x3 flowering space and a 1x3 seedlings/veg section?

It can be configured as two separate spaces, the 3x3 and 1x3. I did not put the divider up because i have a 2x2 space with a CFL that I am using for germinating seeds and early veg.

1 Like

I think a double ended 3:15 what have you set up tits in a 4 by 4 and you definitely won’t be lacking light that’s for sure start with the right nudes and proper training you should get heavy plants the CMH light spectacular Spectrum and they are very good full spectrum but they’re not as targeted into the Reds as a say 2000 Kelvin high pressure sodium if you’re going to spend some money on a good CMH system might as well save a little bit more and get a nice LED system which has a much better flowering Spectrum

1 Like