Liberty Haze seedling on a go slow

Hi All.
Great site and cool people with so much knowledge. Thanks for sharing it.

My liberty haze seedling is not growing as expected. Another test plant (unknown seed) is doing great in the same environment…

Setup and info

Area: Wardrobe freestanding
Lights: CFL
Current setup:
4 CFL 23w /1400 ( largest bayonette fitting available here)
8cm away from seedlings.
(max of 10 bulbs at 23w /1400l)

Medium: Soil. Organic. Pearlite/vermiculite/light compost. Ph- just below 7

Water: Ph 6.5-7
Every few days or as needed. (Meter)

Temperature: on 77-84f

Circulation: fan on low (bottom) and vents at the top.

Plant Status and history

Germination - paper towel method
Sprouted in Seedling tray day 1
With in a day the roots were poking through the holes in the tray.
Plant looked good. photo

Then everything slowed down completely. Looked limp and starting to yellow. (Photo)

After a week - I transplanted into a 6in pot

Immediate improvement. Colour greener and definite growth of 2nd true leaf. Photo

Now - a week later - day 14- she has started to look limp and yellowy again…photo

Roots healthy and starting to see them at the bottom - but she is still tiny!

I thought it could be over watering so I have been extra careful - no difference.

I thought it could be too much light. No difference.

It’s not too hot.

My test plant is a no name seed and 1 week younger but much more healthy.

I am at a loss.

This is my first grow of a quality seed so I am quite attached…

Any advise appreciated

Thanks

Uploading: 8BDAB6A2-2F7D-48B7-A07A-7B486E6DE128

.jpeg…]() Uploading: E7904DB0-6784-4C0F-ABDD-D6E05CEAB231.jpeg…

1 Like

@dclem1010
Your soil issues at seedling were intersting and I am wondering what you think of my issue.

It might also be that her aggressive roots need more space despite her small stature?

@Niala
@blackthumbbetty

Champions

Compost can have hot spots to hot for seedlings little bitty fragile roots lots of nutrients can be to much for some finicky strains

It’s not to late get some simple light seedlings friendly mix soil before you transplant to your compost vermiculite mix

Be gentle and get her out or it could fry her

thanks. Noted.

The compost mix is a very light ratio.
Not sure if this could be it.

I was thinking more the opposite.
Maybe she is a glutton and is deficient?

No at that size they need little more then water if fed ,then usetrace amounts is NPK like 1/8 strength but u have some compost so no need to feed like I said try a pre made basic light seedlings promoting mix 5 $ at the home depot ,then u can even use some charged time release fertilizer as long as your planning to transplant and flush good before doing so with an enzyme flush treat ment such as sfl 100 …great stuff… helps break down salt build-up from nutrients also will help promote the bacteria that break down your compost and make that more viable as well

ILGM Support Ticket:

What is the strain and type(unknown bag seed, strain name, regular seeds, feminized seeds, auto-flower, etc)?

Indoor or Outdoor? If outdoor, planted in ground or in a container?

Size of space (max height and area, length/width)?

Soil or Hydro? Type of Medium used? System type?

pH?

• Of the soil or medium (root zone/reservoir/run-off)?
 -  Of the water and/or nutrient mix that is fed to the plant?

Type and strength of dose of nutrients used? NPK?

Temperature? Day vs. night temp or highest and lowest temps? Root zone temps?

Humidity %? Day vs. night

Light system/watts/lumens/FLUX/PAR?

Ventilation system? Size? CFM?

CO2?

AC, Humidifier, De-humidifier?

Number “weeks/days” from into Season, Vegetative Growth or Bloom/flowering?

Add anything else you feel would help us give you a most informed answer. Feel free to elaborate, but try to be brief and to the point. Short and to the point questions and/or facts will help us help you.

Here fill this out it will help others who read help before having you abwser all these questions … Most ppl are going to ask you about you pH and pH is extremely important and easily overlook by new growers fill this out to the best of your ability by copy and pasting in your responsr

Be aware in the near future that you must upgrade your lighting before you go into flowering or you will be severely disappointed with your end result I will tag a few people in to help take a look at your page so fill out that help summary ASAP and you will get an answer very soon @raustin will be a good person to get over her and she will ask who ever if she is stumpt. Hope this helps man but I suggest u get a light premade mix to get a happy medium for ur lilwuns

Thanks for the tag.

First, those clay pots are notorious for robbing up all the water you give, it’s important to soak the pots thoroughly before using and then never let them dry out. In short, don’t use clay pots for MJ. Get her into something better, like a cloth pot.

Second, it looks like her cotyldons are dying, so she’ll need to be fed early. What king of nutes do you have to feed her? What kind of compact is in the soil?

Third, you need better lighting. It’s ok for now, but very soon it will not be enough. Do you have any plans on getting a new light?

1 Like

@raustin cheers to you woman you know your shit …how old are you btw I no your not supposed to ask a woman but I’m doing it

Hi. Thanks for time.

They’re actually plastic pots - just terracotta in colour.

Will add to bulbs as she needs more coverage.
I have wired for 10 x cfls at max. Total 230w.
Small, I know, but working with what I can here.

Have not fed her any nutrients yet. Was waiting for the transplant to proper pot.

Lack of nutrients even at her tiny size and age is surprising but would make sense…

The cotlydons were yellowing in day 3!

Ah, ok, plastic is better than clay, good. If her cots have been yellowing since day three then I think she needs a light feeding. I would give her 1/4 strength nutes.

Maybe coffee grounds as soft nute for now?

This is the most decent feed that I could find at short notice.

It would have to quite a weak solution …

Thanks @fano_man. I’m 55, BTW.

1 Like

No, don’t use coffee grounds, it’s too acidic and will lower the Ph too far. Which brings me to my next question: what is your Ph? When you water or feed make sure you Ph to 6.5.

Full setup/ FYI

2 Likes

No time release formula grow mediums. Hot mediums are one thing, but time-released nutes are not the best for cannabis. You can’t really flush out time-release nutrients unless you plan on pouring in dozens of gallons of h20; not even sledgehammer or florakleen will help.

@Shan1 Have you tested the pH of your medium? You said you’ve been using h20 that’s 6.5-7?

I stated time release is okay only if he does a transplant with a good flush prior but time release is bad for the whole grow but sometimes it’s a light easy way to be maintenance-free with seedlings the time release ones really aren’t that big of a problem unless you’re super serious dialing in nutrients and stuff until you get bigger lights and spend money on new dirt lights timers to be a serious grow. Until then a nice easy maintenance-free slightly charged soil or Miracle Grow will work just fine for a first-time grower next time he can learn about all the benefits of soils while this learning experience is underway

Hey im hella late here but i think u got a pretty obvious issue. Everyone kinda overlooked it cuz u said you were ‘very cautious’ about not overwatering. But… look at your soil. I see NO PERLITE. Thus horrible drainage. Ill bet sugar to :poop: thatd ur problem. The water retention in your soil isntoo high and she’s drowning. I always add at least a 1/3 of the medium in perlite. And holes holes holes if your using plastic/clay. But if at all possible get her somemore soil. Add perlite. And watch her blow up. If u look at the one growing faster, is her soil alot ‘dryer looking’?