Lf small heater recomendations

My tent is in the basement, here in MA it is winter. My temps have been dipping as low as 64° when the lights are out. I’m looking for a small heater for the 4x8 space that I don’t worry I’m gonna burn my house down. Any recommendations? Hope this is the right place, first time posting.
DannyBoy

1 Like

Hi, and welcome! You posted in the right spot.

I’d check your Home Depot. Personally I like sealed oil-filled electric heaters. The ceramic or IR ones seem more likely to ignite something than the oil-filled ones, but all of them are a fire risk if used incorrectly. Give ‘em lots of space.

5 Likes

Basement grower in Ma here also. I use a vornado space heater on an inkbird controller both from amazon.

2 Likes

I grew with @KeystoneCops I have an oil filled for my grow area controlled with n inkbird and it works well. I do run a fan in the area to help keep the air moving.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick replies. I use the inkbird products on my salt water fish tanks, love em.

2 Likes

Hello, @DannyBoy I am pretty new to the whole growing scene but my tent is also located in a cold area. I am using a 2ft tube heater and it’s doing a great job. Mine is also connected to a thermostatic plug such as the one above recommended by @Watt-Sun

Tube / cabin heaters have really low power consumption which is a major pointer for me.
Even at full blast it consumes 80w.

I was using a smaller tuber heater which only consumed 45w but it was struggling a little when it was icy outside.

Also, they’re pretty cheap!

Use an oil filled heater its safer. Can get at home depot or lowes. Digital control with own thermostat.

1 Like

Right now i use a small forced air coil heater to heat the room my tent is in. Last year i put a heat mat ( standing sideways) in the tent, that help with the drop in temp at night.

64f isn’t that bad of a low.

It’s hard to keep temps warm in a cold basement when one is using an exhaust fan for the tent. The fan pulls all the heat out and pumps it into the basement.

I used a 1500w ceramic space heater last winter. It worked fine, but was running constantly ($$$$) and fire was a constant concern.

I’m planning on placing a fish tank heater in a 5gal bucket of water this winter. Less money, less fear of fire.

1 Like

@DannyBoy
I also use my light set up to my advantage. I use my MH/HPS lights in the winter and keep lights on during the night. The extra heat from the lights keeps my room nice and warm. I run LED lights during the summer. Also if you are still in veg you can run lights 24 hrs . I prefer 20/4

2 Likes

@DannyBoy. I’m with the other fellas on the oil filled rad. Works like a charm and little to no fear of a fire.
Most have a tip over feature as well for shut off. :+1::v:
Watch out for the indicator lights on panel. Might have to cover them. :wink:

2 Likes

I’d still give the radiator ample space on all sides.

2 Likes

Absolutely. Safety first. :wink::+1::v:

2 Likes

I use a $20 heater from amazon and the inkbird switch it works perfectly.

Welcome to the ILGM FORUM. This is the heater I use. Delonghi tower it is a ceramic element. It works great. My temperature remains stable while lights out. I think it retails for about $79.00 at Sams. I got mine for $40.00 on Sams auction site.

Wanted to add same thing as @Oldguy said this puts out small amount of ambient light. I keep panel covered.

1 Like

Great info everyone, I appreciate the help. I do have several fish tank heaters just sitting around, I might try that method first in a bucket. 64° is the coldest it’s gotten. I am currently flowering 5 plants, about 2 weeks left. This is my first grow, and admittedly I cut corners and used free seeds a friend gave me. Big mistake, I thought I got all the males out in time but the flowers are saying otherwise, seeds everywhere. A extremely good learning lesson, just a lot of time and energy wasted. Feminized from here on out.

2 Likes