Let's talk DIY lights

@ktreez420 help!! I have one grow light from Amazon. When I say beginner, I mean I know nothing. I have taken few puffs twice. I am recovering from cancer. I want to make Simpson oil, suppositories and a salve for my neuropathy. I dont want many plants, just enough to accomplish that. I don’t know how to get seeds or what parts to use. So don’t laugh please and help me even with choosing the best seeds. Ty. Mags

1 Like

Hey, @Maggiem, are you unable to make your own thread? Here is the link to buy seeds:

There is a lot of information on different seeds for different needs. You should look through the medical seeds.

1 Like

@Countryboyjvd1971, see above. Maybe this could be moved to it’s own thread? It would get more hits.

1 Like

@dbrn32 or anyone get any emails about the next quantum board shipment? All out of 3000K boards…

1 Like

Not that I heard of, but I wasn’t on the list. I can go jump on it though, phone is generally in hand lol.

No worries on that @dbrn32 I signed up and sent them an email as well. Haven’t heard back yet. Got my tax refund, and it’s burning a hole in my pocket… even if I have to move. Lol
I’ll head over to arrow and pick up some drivers and wait…

1 Like

@dbrn32 Thanks for the tip on Cutter Electronics, I was looking at Digikey who have the 69 Volt VERO 29 SE’s for $37 Aus, about the same as Cutter prices, but Cutter seems to have better heat-sinks.

Still checking on the other brands of COB’s.

2 Likes

Honestly, I’d hold the cash and wait to see what comes from them chilled boards. I’m also sure hlg has been working on something a little higher end, just not sure what or when we’ll see it. But good chance we’ll see a change in voltage, and you can always get the drivers. Sometimes you just have to pay a couple more bucks from trc.

I’m glad I went and looked…

2 Likes

@dbrn32 I saw the QB11’s and thought they would be a great addition to add later to the flowering tent.

1 Like

Don’t pay more for the 69 volt, if anything I think the 50-52 volt model is better.

Otherwise, just look for those citi or luminous cobs and check prices. They’re just as efficient as the cxb, and usually half the price.

Cutter always has some cool stuff! Not always the cheapest, but definitely have the good stuff.

1 Like

Short term answer to what the 80cri 561 diodes are missing. I’m sure they’ll go bigger, and not exactly thrilled on the price.

1 Like

I can wait on the drivers. Just to be on the safe side @dbrn32 you do have a good point on getting those any time. If they have something cooking I’m in. Just hopefully before I move, so I can try them out. Stay tuned, I’m building something this week… :wink:

1 Like

I saw the price, and wasn’t thrilled either. But they have to make $1 too I suppose.

1 Like

Sweet! You know I’m usually not out of touch for long haha! Got me curious anyway…

1 Like

Yep. Not looking to test the rules or anything, but we’ll figure something out.

1 Like

The VERO 29 SE 3000K 50.7 Volt is available for $29 Aus each
BXRC-30G10K0-B-73-SE . The CMX 22’s seem to be out of stock at the shop I was looking at, still have to check Cutter.

2 Likes

For whatever reason, the luminous cobs are a little more difficult to find here too. Not impossible, but you can usually get most for around $20 U.S.

1 Like

If you decide to go with that cob BXRC-30G10K0-B-73-SE, a meanwell hlg-320h-c1400a will run four of them, at about 71.4 watts each.

The forward voltage on that cob at 1400ma is about 51 volts. You can run them a little harder or softer if you want. Depends on what you’re working with for heatsinks really. 140mm pin sink will do pretty good up to about 75 watts, but I’ve never pushed them harder. If you’re dealing with something smaller than that, you’ll want to probably add some fans or drop down to something around 50 watts.

1 Like

I think I will go with the BXRC-30G10K0-B-73-SE, as they are in stock and the price is acceptable. Thanks for the info on the hig-320h-c1400a drivers. I want to do this right, so I will look for the 140mm heat-sinks. The wattage rating on the heat-sinks, should I be looking at 75 Watt units, or about that size?

1 Like

Ya, not everyone rates them that way though. They should have some info that you can correlate though.

If you were looking at just using extrusion, there’s some different things we look at depending on whether you wanna go active or passive cooling. I’ll try to help with whatever I can @Alien