Let's talk DIY lights

The problem is whether you have reflection or not really. If you plan on using 4x4 to grow, add 2 quantum boards or 4 cobs. But par levels won’t be as high in 5x5 vs a 4x4. If you’re in a 5x5 and want to get it close to “covered” I would add 4 cobs and 2 quantum boards. That’s based on wanting to use the quantum boards in the first place, and having to configure your bars to 5 cobs instead of 4.

Makes no difference to me really how you do it. Just looking at it from coverage standpoint.

Going to cover the entire room with mylar paper. So it will have reflection. Would you recommend the quantum boards or just more cobs?

2 Likes

mingle them together @Buzzlightyear you may like them too!

1 Like

In leaning towards that. Kind of want to try all things led and see what works best.

1 Like

I don’t think it really matters. If you do a hybrid with cobs and qb’s it covers the weakness of the qb’s. The other side of that is the qb’s aren’t available in 90cri at this point. And if you’re going strictly flower in a 4x4 some 2700k or 3000k 90 cri cobs would probably do that really well.

So I would say whatever you’re more interested in would probably be fine.

2 Likes

QB’s also lend themselves well to SCROG techniques where you can lay down on a flat canopy. One of the reasons why I went the way I did.

3 Likes

Excellent point!

3 Likes

i’m going to see how long the likes last today @dbrn32 !! lol

2 Likes

Good luck! I’ve been warned three times today already. I’d be out if we weren’t so busy at work.

2 Likes

I have everything in house to build my last light. Maybe Monday I can get to it.

3 Likes

i like that! lol

2 Likes

Sweet! Gonna be some serious photons there.

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure these 90 CRI 3500k I’m using now will be fine. Might as well just stick to those for strictly flower. I’m using 5k 500 watt cobb for veg and it’s phenomenal.

1 Like

They will, but you’ll have the option of doing better if you’re adding light anyway.

1 Like

I found these today, on my Instagram feed @dbrn32 fits rapid led pin sinks and frames. Likely overkill?

5 Likes

Oh sweet! You knew they were going to be coming out with something, and that could be a goody!

In your case, I wouldn’t run out and get them. A 15% increase in efficacy wouldn’t be much different than saying you were gonna replace your cobs with qb’s. Just a little cheaper since you already have sinks. And since you’re packing up shop in a few months, I would just run what you have. By the time you move and get setup, they will likely have a new version of it anyway.

Now someone who is currently in the market for a light, @MattyBear @BIGE @raustin may want to check them out.

4 Likes

man,that is one baaad puck!!

2 Likes

Oh no, @dbrn32 I agree with you, I posted mostly for informative purposes, to keep everyone else in the loop. I just wanted to throw it out there that these would be available soon, and if someone was looking to get some new lights, they might be worth looking into. I liked the design standpoint, and the light spectrum. It might be great to alternate rows of those with the Cree’s for some thoughts.

Personally I’m steering towards some quantum boards. To finish proper coverage of the 4X8. Still highly modifiable to 2 4x4 tents, or even a 2x4 tent. I literally have two drivers in my cart, but I haven’t done it yet. Since I’m uncertain about when I’ll be able to grow again after relocation I really would like to get my grow operation in order before I leave, so all I have to do is set up shop. The other reason I’m purchasing hydro equipment now, so I’ll have everything. Plus or minus an extra tent.

5 Likes

Fo shizzle! In your current tent to finish it off would be a really good option. I admire your willingness to keep moving forward despite the future plans. I’d probably be trying to dump everything I had to not have to move it across the country haha. Thanks for the heads up, it likely would’ve been a little while before I seen them.

Sounds like @BIGE is going to reach out to them to see about potentially running on aluminum plate. I suspect they’ll say yes at a lower output current, just not sure how low.

1 Like

@dbrn32 I’m not looking forward to packing everything. I also considered just having things delivered to my parents house so it would be there already… I can always pack things in the hydro purposed totes after the water is gone. LOL

I hope @BIGE gets the answer he’s looking for. I knew you’d know who to tag! I look forward to his progress as well! I REALLY would like to see these things in action.

3 Likes