Let's talk DIY lights

@dbrn32 you look into far red since Bruce bugbee at apogee is saying the amount of far red or measurement and of course he has made a meter. Is the measure of growth better than ppfd.
I’m doing 24 Cree far red diodes in 1/2 my room on 18/6 but I have lots of qbs to use it.
I’m winging it without a meter but I’ll take the risk.

4 Likes

I’m not sure i have seen what you’re talking about, unless it’s in regards to Emerson effect? Garden is looking great though!

3 Likes

YouTube Bruce bugbee far red the forgotten photon. It’s dated 2019. But there’s lots of newer ones. Migro etc.
Basically instead of pushing 1500ppfd to get more growth with just white leds you add far red to pull in more of the blue and red and green. Not that you won’t still be a photon smasher but that when thinking of maxing growth maxing out absorption of wavelength before pushing past into ppfd abundance and waste what’s absorbable.
And there’s a meter for it. Lol.
Emerson effect I guess.

1 Like

I think I had watched it a while back, but watched again just to be sure. He makes the reference to Emerson around 17:30 into video, is pretty much the basis for adding far red.

In terms of this video, there are some things that are possible to pull out other than simply saying far red is great. Like near the end showing compassion in different plants. Cannabis is going to behave a lot more like tomato plants than the lettuce shown earlier in video. Also worth noting that Emerson documented that far red increases were more limited to low intensity light situations and weren’t as prevalent in high intensity conditions. Leafy greens are well known low light striving plants, as opposed to flowering/fruiting plants are well known to strive under high intensity lighting. So doing this video based solely on lettuce makes a lot of sense, as do the results of their studies.

Stepping outside of the video, I think 720nm still has relative quantum efficiency of around 25%. So nothing that should be completely ignored regardless of exact light intensity condition. But most of us aren’t trying to run anywhere near 1500 umols/s either. I would think that a significant drop in light intensity would be required from there before adding back in far red would make noticeable difference.

7 Likes

I am gonna admit I CAN understand the technical but I’m getting old and lazy.

That said, I think after a couple indoor attempts and one over the edge outdoor grow, it’s worth the effort to understand as much of the technical as possible.

My experience has been that because I didn’t take the time to do that, I spent twice the time navel gazing or looking at the results achieved by those who DO make that effort.

Every bud pic I envy slightly is most often the result of mastering the basics of every variable to the best of the growers ability.

I’ve gotta go search out a simple way to wire up my lights with a bullet proof meter for power consumption if I ever wanna have peace of mind doing this going forward….

I know it’s down there, I just gotta take another look…

4 Likes

This topic is very interesting to me being a guy who likes to tinker. I’ve watched some vids on GreenGenes builds but apparently that company is out of business.

Does anyone have any experience with the sun boards available on ebay?

Definitely interested in building my own soon. What are you guys/ladies using for your builds?

4 Likes

@dbrn32 is our diy lighting go to :+1::v: ^^^^

3 Likes

Thanks bro! Hopefully he’ll chime in. Lol

3 Likes

I’ve never worked with them, but I can most likely help you assemble anything as long as you have voltage and current specs.

3 Likes

I have 2 each of their Bud booster and UV light bars 48 leds, wired in series and run with a 75W driver. I have these attached to a 6 panel light made from HLG 120 QB’s. Its in my mother tent so I don’t have the booster lights running right now. With their heat sinks it did run pretty cool when testing. If you buy from them w/heatsinks it was cheaper than sourcing heat sink separately.
Since these run Samsung LM561c led’s I would be looking at prebuilt lights. There are some great deals out there right now if your not going to run the 301b/h series led. Driver pricing/shipping puts a home made light in the same range as a prebuilt.

3 Likes

@dbrn32 light master :pray::pray:
Could you match a meanwell driver for this please? I don’t want to get a CV and need a CA or burn my shop down. Note: not for growing, this is just a dead nightlight. Thought it was the photosenor so I straight wired it and the light is still just very dim. So next in line is driver. Light board visually looks fine, not sure what to look for if I ohm it besides breaks/:infinity:
Any direction is appreciated

2 Likes

Hard to know what resistance led module should be without having a lot of info that we’re not likely to get. I didn’t see any reference material to help find driver though?

1 Like

Well shat, was a 140 buck outdoor light and being me trying to save it :frowning:
It’s dark in woods :sunglasses:
But thanks for your time buddy :metal:

2 Likes

GD I’m high as kite and I just might stop and ck you out…let me go onnnnn.
Ya might need this…

2 Likes

That helps a bunch lol. I’ll look around.

1 Like

No rush I’ma go outside for a bit, I need some fresh air I think and another J :sunglasses:

1 Like

This is the cat right here. Full disclosure, i’ve never used this series of drivers. But isn’t rocket science either. Take a look at data sheet because there are codes within part number that could show up and you probably don’t need, like auxiliary 12v output.

2 Likes

Tha man, tha Master, thank you very much. No disclaimer need, we was never here :wink:

2 Likes

Ok maybe we was here, need more help :hushed:
The driver you found would be great, buuuuut it’s to fat.
Could you verify if one of these will work I found off of your numbers. I know they are 10watts less but that won’t effect me.
Apc-35-700 84x57x29mm
Lpc-35-700 148x40x30mm

Odlc-45-700 11x77x28.5mm the 77 width is what got me

Can you find outvwhat forward voltage of the led module you have is? These drivers have lower voltage range than one in your light.

1 Like