Let's talk DIY lights

Thanks for helping out buddy. no flip yet. Just getting my game plan. Still to damn hot here.fixing to start 4 or 5 beans that I’ll keep in the house until they are big enough to put into my system(3-4 weeks)
Getting my mounts moved from hps hoods to these new lights and prepping my chains. That’s y I was curious how low I’d be needing the lights.

2 Likes

This is 6 qb 120’s on hlg-320 in 3x4 right? You should have pretty good canopy penetration built into the coverage really. They are built to be a diffuse light source, that’s a lot of coverage but not as much overlapping light that greatly increases intensity. Like in comparison to a 288 board that has more than double the leds and is half the size. That is why you would run this fixture closer than others.

Doesn’t mean you have to run it that close though. Is important to remember that changing light height doesn’t change the amount of light in the space. Lowering will tighten the footprint of light, increasing intensity within the footprint. Raising the light will give it wider footprint decreasing intensity within the footprint. In an open area could cause more light to spill off of canopy, but in a tent would just bounce off the walls. You want to be careful not to get too high though, reflection isn’t 100% efficient. So bouncing too much light off walls can be a waste.

4 Likes

Yes sir 6x120@320.
Just a little intemidated. Guess do it like smoking meats. Start low and slow

1 Like

X2. I’m just about finished with the 2nd light.

1 Like

If you are worried, just go slow like you said. You have the dimmer you can use too.

Yes sir. I was going to start at 10" 50% power.
See how that tickles them.

2 Likes

I’ma try that dll stuff with phone apps and equations😎

2 Likes

And the race is on…
Thanks again @dbrn32

5 Likes

This topic may have died off a little, but seeing these pics never gets old. Long before I was I was moderator here or referenced to as number of different things, I really liked helping others complete their light projects. I hope we continue to get members interested in building their own lights.

11 Likes

For your enjoyment is the main reason I wanted to show the completed build. Not really a show and tell guy but you deserved it💪 I’ve already got a gift for you(legal) waiting.
Also wanted to post this to help inspire anyone else who wants to join the led army. With @dbrn32 help, hlg’s inventory, some cash and a little elbow grease you can have a nice light. Ballin on a budget for life.

6 Likes

I like to look at the pics
The technical junk flies over my head but pics I can appreciate

5 Likes

Much appreciated, thank you!

@Mr_Wormwood, that is completely understandable.

4 Likes

Boy o boy, sure is nice waking up and walking out to a 86* room👍

2 Likes

That is one massive set up. Looks great. I would suggest individual scrogs though. Not across the whole area. How would you get to a potential problem plant? A lot of people around build their own scrog frames for rooms. Even double frames. Problem plants. Unless all clones they won’t all finish the same time either.

1 Like

Hey @Budz thanks for checking it out and the kind words. This is only my 3rd run in this room. But how I’ve always done seed grows. Once I get a momma up and running I’ll move the Apollo system to the middle and sog it out.
I like using these 4’ nets. The are solid and last a life time. I’m 6 6 so I easily reach anything above the net and the woman is 5 so she gets sent under if need be. It’s an odd style, like me😎

6 Likes

I assumed you where using a majority of the net. And the perception probably makes me think the room is much larger than it is. Because it seems like a plant at the back would be 4+ft away. How reach that? I do like the way some of the double scrog frames look though. If I had a grow room I’d use them. But since I use tents I’ve found nets useless. If anything can’t hold itself I just yo-yo it to the cross members above. But I think I’ve fixed that issue too. Since current grows stems could support way more than it’d ever grow in bud weight.

More kind words :heart_eyes:

3 Likes

Yeah pics never tell the truth. The room is 6x8 but I’m only using 6x4. I know that’s not the best but all I got. The previous owner built this room as a indoor sana(spell ck). So it’s well insulated,vented and nice shower surround wall covering.

4 Likes

Looks clean. I like the God Mode camera work

3 Likes

From above I look at my creation and it is good

God Voice

4 Likes