Let's talk DIY lights

yeah so they throw more light out sideways rather than on the ends… that’s kind of why i’m thinking this might be good (ish?).

1 Like

I’m sure you will be fine either way. People threw 10"x4" hps bulb in a 5x5 tent and have been successful for 60 years.

4 Likes

Been slow here lately, and probably a good thing. I have a shelf full of parts I will need to do something with eventually though.

5 Likes

Sounds like me and all the guitar pedal parts that I have from projects I never quite got around to

3 Likes

I like parts.

1 Like

we have lift off! and i have a headache lol. holy man this is bright. just waiting on the potentiometer. many thanks again to @dbrn32, i was able to use a diagram from last year to help me with this one too. i have zero understanding of circuits but i can follow simple drawings. well mostly. i did mess up the orientation of the strips on the right side. in another config he had the stirps going in opposite directions and i didn’t realize it and i accidentally combined the two drawings, but whatever. minor.

i’m obsessed with extruded aluminum. it’s like real-life adult rector sets. my 70’s childhood totally prepared me for this. T-slots are cool. I was able to put in four bumpers and light hangers via slots.

this is going in a 2.5 x 5 with 10 PLC strips. it was about $650 with a fancy frame. If i’d used slotted aluminum again with PLCs heat sinks I’d have saved about 50 bucks but I really wanted to try something nearly tool-less. I only needed a tiny allen wrench and wire strippers for this. With the slotted aluminum I did need one cut. If you drop to 8 strips and a smaller driver, it saves about another $100.

3 Likes

oops one more question @dbrn32 or others. i can’t tell if the wire is red or brown. i’ll trim the wires on the dimmer but not confident on what goes where. i’m assuming i tape off the yellow.

blue to red
brown/ish red to black?

1 Like

OH WAIT. my light is flipped upside down and it’s written on the driver that the gray jacket is +.

assuming red on the dimmer is positive?

1 Like

OK answering my own question here in case anyone else is confused… it doesn’t matter lol.

1 Like

extra parts for DIY builds like THOROUGHLY discussed above^^ or parts from old lights repurposed? Maybe we can help each other out on that. I haven’t PM’d anyone or learned how to yet on this site but if you wanna possibly do some purging of parts i may need for a build i may take them off your hands if we can find that happy middle ground in deals :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sounds like you got it right? It’s kinda hard to explain the pot wires, as depends on which way its sitting. But you can’t mess it up simply by not having wires on correct taps. Wiring up wrong will likely just make dimmer span the opposite way.

2 Likes

Private messaging is turned off here except for forum staff and seed shop representatives. I could send you one, but I likely don’t really have much that would help you. Pretty much just odds and ends from previous builds. Like ordering 10 heatsinks to fill minimum order quantity when I only needed 8.

3 Likes

yep i’m good thanks. i was sitting over this like i was trying to decide which wire to cut on a bomb until i was informed it didn’t matter lol. it’s hung and up and running :sunglasses:

I have three clones under it that i previously ran under my HGLs so we’ll see if there’s any difference in bud structure. unfortunately i let these plants get too big so it’s not totally apples to apples. but still… science! :nerd_face:

2 Likes

Awesome!

I can relate to the feeling, fortunately enough nothing very exciting going to happen on that dimming circuit. Maybe if you installed pot on the DC output could get wild.

4 Likes

or at demo day, moment of truth wiring in blasting caps and your instructor’s like “remember, @$$ towards the blast!!” (oh, because my butt will save me right? ANNNNND because i needed ANOTHER mental distraction trying to crawl it’s way in :wink: :smiley: )

2 Likes

Electronics class instructor in high school era at VoTech was fun too :smiley: had us wire a (paper filled) capacitor backwards to see what would happen (POP!!!) and then warned of how they’re now OIL filled and that can be VERY harmful/destructive and POTENTIALLY deadly. (hehe “potentially” :wink: :smiley: )

3 Likes

like rave dance party wild? cuz who couldn’t use a little of that in their lives right now.

1 Like

A little bit of misplaced electricity never killed anybody

3 Likes

@dbrn32 hey buddy could you give me the basic 411 on using these lights.
I’m asking because you had mentioned this setup could be slammed down tight for better penetration. The subjects under the lights will be in full veg mode @12-16" in height. Thanks for any input, I know there will be a learning curve again but I’m down.

1 Like

Sounds like you’re ready to flip. Don’t slam plants in veg btw. Most experienced growers learn to back off on the lights. Learn to use dli. Daily light intregal. Takes all the guesswork out

1 Like