Let's talk DIY lights

Got you.

Last question (sure, I’ve said that before)…

I’m running 2 r specs with a Hlg-240h-c2100. If I ran 2 Diablo’s off that would I have any advantage?

My r spec boards are less than 2 years/4 harvests old, so I also feel like I should get more use/comfort with using them before upgrading but the sickness of wanting to buy more gear is strong. Thanks

3 Likes

Lol you have what in the photography industry is known as G.A.S. Gear Acquisition Syndrome! :joy::sweat_smile::+1: Dont we all!

4 Likes

It would be a little more light. I don’t think I would make that upgrade right now. Even if I had first generation boards I would probably be waiting for next release and to see if they dropped in price. Already having r-spec boards I don’t think it’s enough for me to spend that kind of money.

4 Likes

My wife says thank you for the advice.

Me, I’m pissed. Now I have to find some snake oil to waste my money on! Jk

You are the man.

3 Likes

Hey all.
I was hoping i could get some advice.
A quick copy past for substance.

2 Likes

I responded in the topic you started. More or less suggesting to first check and make sure you have the proper fuses. Then check wiring and components between bulb and socket base. If you don’t see anything there, let me know.

30 year old seeds not popping, so far. Bummer. But, to be fair, I have only just put three on to start. I am putting them in a shot glass with a hit of peroxide in the water. I had the original 3 in the water for a day and a half. I put them on cotton makeup cleaning pads this morning and put 4 more into the shot glass. None sink in the shot glass. From what I have read, sinking is not necessarily definitive.
Meanwhile, I am going to order seeds. Any suggestions? In my small grow space I think an Indica would be best. I am blown away with feminized seeds (recall, I have been out of the game for 30 years). I am in northern climes. Are there strains that do better in the colder climate?

1 Like

Typically indica fairs better in colder climates. I’m in a known cold part of the US and finishing off some grandaddy purple that did well with temp swings and cooler during lights out.

1 Like

The space I would like to put my grow the temps can get cool, down maybe to 55. Is that too cold to grow in?

Assuming it will be a bit warmer when the grow light is on yes. Mine got that cool several times just read up on what strain you pick. Worse case the plants will grow a little slower.

2 Likes

Cannabis will grow at this temp but all processes are slowed. It’s really better to be up in the mid to upper 60’s minimum and shoot for 78F as ideal under the lights.

Try an Indica-heavy plant, smaller yields usually called out which can help. Stay away from autos if new to this: photoperiod plants require light discipline (easy) but any ‘issues’ during your grow that would stall an auto, you just veg longer. I’m growing a Bubblegum now and it’s maybe 18 inches above ground but a chunk.

Just my 2 cents.

4 Likes

I appreciate your input.
We have a nice bedroom suite in the attic. It is where I want to set up. It is private. But, it gets cold in the winter and hot in the summer. I know I said 55, i dont think it gets down below 60 otherwise the wife would complain. Otherwise, in the winter, its probably in the low 70’s. The unit itself will be warmer because of the lights. In the summer we have the AC going, keeping it around 75. I think I can sacrifice slower growth to have it up there.

2 Likes

It might help to put a tent in that space with a fan and temp controller. It sounds like a pretty good environment: especially the high end as lights do generate some heat. I grew in the garage of our previous home in So Cal and it was challenging. We had a home built in Colorado and am loving the steady temp and humidity.

4 Likes

I pulled my old photoron out after I put it away 32 years ago and went to rehab. I have been clean ever since! Anyway, yea, I pulled it out and am determined to grow in it. Its set up with lights, though I am working on adding more. Probably after a while I will want to put in a more efficient system, but for now Im growing in the Tron! I have been trying to figure out the best place for it. I have had it on every floor and thought I would do it in the basement. But, really, I need a place where I can harvest and dry. I cant do that in the basement. So, I just decided, its back to the attic. Shlep the set up back up!

4 Likes

This holds true for guitars and machinery too. :joy:

7 Likes

Tools of any sort, There is always a tool I “need”.

4 Likes

Man, I really missed out on a lot in this thread!
Happy to see it’s alive and well and all the awesome DIY going on! :green_heart::evergreen_tree:

2 Likes

Hey @ktreez420 long time no see! How are things?!

1 Like

I’ve been good! Ups and downs, but I’m here and happy!

Hbu brother, how’s the forum been? Can’t believe I let myself stay away for so long!

3 Likes

We’re still hanging out, growing weed :potted_plant: How’s your garden looking these days?

3 Likes