Let's talk DIY lights

It is in good shape, but I am looking forward to using it.
I’m looking at doing a hydroponic setup for my grow. Im not interested in commercial application. Just looking to have fun with it and willing to make alterations.
Help me supercharge it!

1 Like

How long are the factory bulbs, 24"?

Yes, about 24"

2 Likes

There is a bunch of 560mm led modules you could use. Maybe set a few up around outside between existing lights?

Do you have something specific you’re looking to do, or a budget to keep?

Finances are tight right now. My business has been really cut in this covid mess. So, there is that.
I just want to make it as kick ass as I can, and technology, as you pointed out, has come a long way since I purchased this unit in 1990.
One good thing is that the existing lights have only had one grow on them, so they should still be pretty good. Do they deteriorate? Loose effectiveness with age?
Also, I am curious about the red lighting. You responded to that in a prior note, but your response went right over my head. Whats the deal with red light? It is my understanding that during the flowering phase red light helps.
Also, on another forum, a guy using the photoron is putting in “Garage Light LED’s”. Those new ones that have the paddles. He claims that he has seen an improvement in his growth, and at $20. I was just cautious. Are all LED’s great for growing? I have seen discussions where early LED’s were a waste of money.
those 560mm led modules are not expensive. I have not been able to figure out the wiring on them from the promotional pages I have looked at. While I am not an electrician, I do small home projects with some rewiring, so far, I have only been knocked on my ass once!
So, the goal is to supercharge the Photoron, on a budget!
I really appreciate your help with this project.

1 Like

Will you please look at this and give me your opinion.
I think it would fit.

1 Like

Ebay links not allowed, so I removed. You don’t want the light you linked either. It may help, but its not that good and you can make money go further

Not with age to my knowledge, but they do deteriorate with run time. Typical t5 has life expectancy of about 20,000 hours and slowly drops in output over that time.

Red light is typical described as falling between 620 and 750nm. Look at plant response in chart between those numbers

unnamed

Absolutely not, some leds perform very poorly. Which leds you use could make a huge difference. This is why some led fixtures are pretty cheap and some are very expensive. You don’t necessarily have to spend a lot to get something good though.

You are in luck here lol. I’m not sure how many I have helped do this, but its a big number. We can get you setup with the right stuff to make fairly easy and safe.

How much room is at top? I was thinking in terms of putting more light around outside, but if you can get something at the top may be better. Also, do you have access to any free aluminum plate or bar stock?

2 Likes

Dude, awsome. The graph is great. Thank you.
No ready access to aluminum plate or stock. I could maybe get my hands on some.

1 Like

4 Likes

4 Likes

Seems pretty clear that your options are to put something in the top or in front of the windows. And it sounds like you were leaning towards the top right?

Dont mirrors create hot spots due to uneven reflection …I’ve never seen a box like that pretty nifty… what is it’s original purpose?

They can, but anything reflecting directly back should be back into bulb I would think. From fluorescent I wouldn’t expect it to be much of a problem. I’m pretty sure these were intended to grow weed.

2 Likes

Phototron from the 80’s. Google it! Its a retro thing.

5 Likes

That’s pretty cool insee what your saying majority of reflection is right back to the bulb either way like you said by the time it reflects around and hits a plant its past 6 inches probably and won’t have much power anymore

2 Likes

Have you seen these?
bridgelux gen 2

3 Likes

Yes, I have built lights using them. The gen 3 are available and will probably phasing out gen 2 soon. You want to do something with them?

1 Like

I mention them because they are 560 led modules that someone on another blog mentioned.
I am not clear when I look at them on the web site how they are wired.
Are these what you would recommend for me?
How much should I order?
How would i attach them?
I’m excited.
In an effort to supercharge this i am considering spray painting the interior (not the mirrored panels) white.
Your thought?

2 Likes

I wouldn’t paint the inside at this point. Wiring eb modules would depend on which driver is attached, but not difficult. Once we know exactly what you’re working with i can cover this with you.

The eb gen2 is available in 280mm, 560mm, and 1120mm lengths. If you want to mount to sides the 560mm good choice. But if you want to top mount they would be too large, 280mm would probably make more sense.

Here is a link to a small build with eb strips. Should give you rough idea

3 Likes

I am going to have to measure more carefully but the 280mm strips should allow me to make one to put in the top. I can get aluminum bar stock at most hardware stores. I will look it over more carefully and plan how to install these.

Why not paint? It would be easy at this point to get some Kryolium for plastic and put a nice shiny coat of white inside, before mounting more hardware.

1 Like