Let's talk DIY lights

I love peaches recommendations every thing just seems so easy when he explains and when you need to get technical there db ready to help and explain thanks guys!

1 Like

The veg space is 8x8 and flower space is 8x10 but won’t be using all of the flower space i was hoping to have a walkway around the plants at least a ft all the way around. Well now i feel like I should just buy some real veg lights and just keep the Prolight 6 for seedlings and clones. So what am I going to need for a 8x8 space to veg say 12-15 plants and is that possible in the space im using both for veg and the flower room keeping in mind I want to be able to maneuver around in the flower room?

I was told the LED tubes i got were 4000k and the original t5s were 2700k ? Was i misinformed ?

Your veg and flower tents are in the same space? Can you find any info on your flourescent tubes to look them up to find out what temp they are? Typically the plants take up more space in flower than in veg. Sorry if I’m misunderstanding I’m high and its 3am. :crazy_face::+1::v:

Probably not. 2700k fluorescent exist, but they aren’t ideal for vegging.

The problem with not using all of your space is that you end up with a lot of light hitting the floor and being wasted. For an 8x8 you are going to need multiple lights anyway, so I would consider utilizing walkway down the middle. They you could at least get some reflection off of back and side walls. From there I would treat like two separate vegging areas thst are roughly 8’x3’ divided by your walkway. Does that make sense?

If so, then you need coverage for the 8x3 spaces. Two 6 bulb t5’s may do one but is definitely on weaker end.

1 Like

For veg with cfl I go with 6500 even as low as 5000k would be good for you

Found a hlg 100 v2 is it worth the purchase… guy wants 100 for it?

1 Like

@Bulldognuts I read a couple of people had separation issues with tape, heat sink and led strip. I found this tonight. I’ll keep an eye on it as the grow continues. If I have to I’ll MacGyver something to get me to the end and then fix correctly. Just my my luck it is in the hardest corner to get to, the picture makes it look worse than it is. Oh well…

2 Likes

Can you get in there with a gentle mcguiver fix so it doesn’t get worse to fast?

2 Likes

Yes. I’m going to get a better look at it tomorrow when I have the plants out of the tent.

2 Likes

Yeah I saw that also. I’ll need to check, I haven’t had any problems yet. Maybe going with the cheaper thermal tape isn’t the best way to go. Always looking to save money though.

3 Likes

Do you remember if the boards have holes in them? I’ll check tomorrow just wondering…

2 Likes

I think that they do, same thing here I’ll have to look.

3 Likes

I just looked on the website and there are some in the picture. Looks like I may be adding a couple screws after this grow.

3 Likes

I think you need to add nylon washers between the strip and the base. Think that’s what I saw on a video. Or was it on the machine screws hmm.

3 Likes

My first build I did 4 f series double row 1120s with all hardware no tape… had the parts to build 3 more and I ordered tape after first one was done I said F that I’ll wait for tape …a couple screws to make a fix no biggie I put zip ties on ends anyway to hold the wires up to the frame on 1 or 2 of em

u can kinda see it in the corner

4 Likes

There it is

1 Like

They are $150 new, about $135 with discount code. And they have been around for couple years now. If you need a light good for 2x2 space, I would maybe offer $80 for it. If he won’t accept, for the extra $35 I would get a new one. It will have warranty and you’ll be on file with hlg of you have any issues.

3 Likes

I’ve seen that too. I definitely sand and clean the life out of my heatsinks, and clean backer on strips. I tried to remove some old strips to recycle heatsinks, broke or bent every one of them. Wondering if maybe some tape isn’t better than others?

4 Likes

I did not snd mine but I cleaned them very well, at least I thought I did.

2 Likes