Let's talk DIY lights

2’x2 tent? That will be extremely difficult to manage temps in and to get to fit in. Sounds like more light than you would need too.

1 Like

What are measurements of the grow space?

1 Like

96x48x40

4 of them at full power would be little more light than is typically needed, but would give you excellent coverage.

3 Likes

@dbrn32 im prolly chilling with 400 Watts LED? I currently have like 375 between two lights one 350 and one shit 25watt. Both full spectrum . thinking just get another 150 or 300 watt led ?

1 Like

50 watts per square foot is usually pretty decent even leds in use aren’t great. You are almost double that and looking to add more?

1 Like

Hi, after doing my head in catching up on 15 years since last grow (hydro and MH light) and tech, lingo etc, the light I came up with is something like HLG300RSpec for personal grow 2 (?) or so trained plants at a time and will build grow area that suits the/a light. Am in sub tropics so not filling area out to keep temp, humidity issues at bay.
Would love to diy light builds and thinking two lower wattage for light spread. I know about COB but dont know how it relates to HLG and spectrum for full grow.
Any guru advice pls if Im over thinking it and recommend if the 2 X 165w QB288 kits would be better than 1 X HLG 300RSpec or build 3 or 4 cob ?
Sorry for essay. Thanks in advance

5 Likes

Welcome to the community! I’ll put a tag out for our lighting tech guru and get you some qualified help. @dbrn32 different time zones so it may take a few hours.

2 Likes

Having 2 fixtures will give you a little flexibility in moving them around, but if you’re in the right sized space 1 fixture is plenty good.

Hlg-300 or equivalent is good for about 2’x4’ space. That is probably better than what you could do with cobs right now.

3 Likes

@dbrn32, Do you know if anyone is using these Far Red Initiator Puck from Rapid Led? I am thinking of adding one to my 2x2 Bridgelux strip light setup.

1 Like

Nobody i can point you to, but I’m sure there are lots of people using them.

I’m running one in my 2x4 tent. 10 minutes prior to and after lights off. It casts a nice dim dark red covering that permeates the whole grow, I have it tied to one of my corner poles. My first grow, so I’ll never know if it makes a difference, but for 20ish bucks I figured it couldn’t hurt. My lighting has been dialed down to 10 off 14 on for a week and pistils are starting to show on my plants.

3 Likes

I’m using their UV puck. They’re easy. Plug in and hang.

Looking back, there are better option for UV.

As for the far red, I’m guessing this is a good wattage for a 2x2.

After a quick look, the rapid LED would be $42 with the DC plug and mounting bracket. I can tell you they’re awkward to hang and position.

HLG sells a far red LED bulb for $39. Take a look into that. It might better suit you

2 Likes

I have 18 boards in a 4x8 it’s not overkill. It’s efficient.

1 Like

Literally. My apogee gets same reading every square inch. Ppfd as high as I want or as low. At 600ppfd it’s at half power and 24inches away

2 Likes

Hey how’s it going back at it again. I sold my buddy my 8 panel qb 132 v2 4000k and he’s now flowering a 4×4 with it with good results anyways now that summers over i need to rebuild myself a 4×4 for veg light and the 132s are sold out. Im Not to sure i feel like building a huge frame like i did with that one. Wondering if you think F series gen 3 double row would be good for veg,harvesting some pollen and a possible mother light from time to time. Also how many I would need for a 4x4 couldn’t remember if it was 8 or 4? Thanks!

So you wouldn’t be trying to flower out plants for anything other than harvesting out seeds?

1 Like

Nope I got 4 r specs and two 4 bar plc strip lights for my 4×8. Prob just be for males, mothers and clones/veg in my 4x4

1 Like

If you go with 1120mm double row strips three of them would probably be good. If you didn’t mind dropping current a little you could do 4 strips on hlg-320

1 Like

I wouldn’t mind doing 3 strips just wasn’t sure if it would cover a 4X4 or not. Would i be better off going with like 6 single rows? Never seen either them in action before

•Side note-you ever hear much about Mammoth lighting before? They have a new light bar light that comes with uv and uvb.