Let's talk DIY lights

Ok @dbrn32 what would be the cheapest route to diy a 260xl. I have to light a 2x4. I’m really trying to come in under $300. So a 260xl or it’s equivalent, what’s the cheapest source of parts?

2 Likes

Probably a 4 pack of qb 120’s and meanwell hlg-240h-c2100a.

https://www.amazon.com/Horticulture-Lighting-Group-Quantum-Boards/dp/B07KQGLJWT/?tag=greenrel-20

If arrow has the driver I think it’s under $60. Couple pieces of aluminum, wire, cord, and connectors would be all that’s remaining. I don’t see it costing much more than $250, which is $100 cheaper than the kit.

3 Likes

I can get angle at Lowe’s, 18g wire?, You mean the power cord? Like a PC cord?, How many wagos?
Edit I have power cord

2 Likes

I generally use 18awg solid rated for 300v. There is 25’ spool available on Amazon for under $7.

16/3 pc cord will work, or male end of outdoor extension cord. Replacement cord for appliances too.

If you go with strictly wagos, 5 of the 2 port variety will do the whole fixture. If you use a fancy waterproof connector for the power cord, then you’ll only need 2 wagos (to connect driver whip to board wiring)

2 Likes

Thanks man that is perfect. @Gremmall hooked me up👍 I can just reorder all this in a few months to light the other side of the 4x4. Is my understanding correct on that. It’ll veg 4x4 and flower a 2x4. I can veg with light one while saving for light 2

2 Likes

Ya, I would probably build it differently to run in a 4x4 though.

2 Likes

How would you do it? Do you mean different parts or location of the boards in the frame?

2 Likes

Same parts, but would build fixture more into a square

4 Likes

What size square? 3x3?

2 Likes

Or build it where each panel is in the center of each quadrant?

2 Likes

Imo build it for the flower ability and not the veg

2 Likes

Don’t you have something to do? :wink: Lol. I can do that. I’ve got the blurples to supplement if need be for meow

3 Likes

Probably something like a 3x3 square without center board.

3 Likes

I’m thinking about the set up you just mentioned in this thread.

To light a 4x4 with 2 of those 4 packs of qb120’s would I still use the same hlg 240 driver? Do I need a pair? Should I step it up to hlg 320? Both dimmable?

1 Like

To run 8 120 boards you would need two hlg 240’s, or you could do single hlg-480 I think. The hlg-320h-c2100a will only run 6 qb 120’s.

All hlg series drivers are dimmable, get model ending with “A” for built in dimmer.

2 Likes

Would the 480 be overkill? I’d rather just keep it simple.

Thanks

@dbrn32 have you looked at budget led lights? Thoughts? I’m looking at their 500 watt 3 series. Is this 730 nm far red better? It’s considerably cheaper and I’m in need of additions. Thank you for your time. Seems like everyone bombs you.

Overkill not a great term, the boards will run the same either way. My preference would be to run the two hlg-240 drivers though.

2 Likes

I’m not familiar with that model other than looking at pictures. I’m sure it will grow weed, the 730nm probably won’t be much of noticeable difference in your grows with or without.

1 Like

Thank you. This is what I’m going to go with for my second tent. I just need to see if I have 18 gauge wire in my parts tub and a couple guitar potentiometers. I gotta find guitar knobs for my dimmers that I can turn up to 11, because i have a feeling that is how bright this gonna be.

2 Likes