Let's talk DIY lights

@Myfriendis410 that was Merlin44 that did the far red at the beginning of lights on and ending of lights out. I’ve thought about it.
He has the same lights I do though. Just with far red added.

4 Likes

The physiospec is inline with latest and greatest from most. Similar to photoboost from plc and r-spec from hlg.

3 Likes

Seems like finding a reasonable HLG knock off overseas is very doable.

3 Likes

Extremely doable. If not, I bet you have friends that could assist in making large enough order to make it happen.

4 Likes

Happy Birthday @Bogleg.

So my pants and I are loving the new PLC lights in the 4x4.

Thanks for all your help again @dbrn32

11 Likes

Sweet pics! How far is your light from top of plants?

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to keep them about 24” above plants. They are growing like crazy right now so it is almost a daily adjustment. Current plan is to slowly get to 100% and let the plant help determine final distance to light. Does that make sense?

7 Likes

Yup. For whatever reason looks more like 3’

3 Likes

@dbrn32
I bought some Samsung 301b quantum boards on alibaba.

Comparing there ppfd with my apogee it’s 1055 for the alibaba
And 1211 for the hlg at 18”
But the hlg480h-2100b driver on the alibaba boards when hooked to a Kim-o-watt is only drawing 388watts. There is also the added 660reds so it’s not 288leds. That would drop the ppfd also.
I’m not sure
What to ask. Why so low a power draw? Is the difference in ready expected with power differences? I built 2 and am giving them 4x8 to see.
After using the meter around the room with the current light I’d doesn’t take
Much to grow hard big nugs. I was at 26plus whole grow just
To not yellow leaves. Lol. Moving them down

Board voltage is probably low. Power (watts) is calculated volts * amps. And the 660nm should have higher ppf per watt than whites too. Unless they used garbage leds, which is possible and probably likely buying discount boards from Alibaba.

Are first I was upset. Then I checked my other room. Although hlg qb132 is 800 at 18 and the qb288v2 is 1200 the height I had them at was around 4-500ppfd. Not what I expected. I have a sealed 4x6 with 8 qb132v2 hlg and three 288v2. Rooms sealed. If I’m not over 800 at the plant no resin for CO2 to be over 1000ppm. Idk. Whole things got me wondering. Glad I bought a light meter.
Makes me wonder. Would closer have grown bigger buds? It’s been said with without CO2 800ppfd is all the plant can take I’m well under hat at the tip of the buds. The ones super cropped were way far from the light. I’ve never questions what they need vs can handle. Assumed more light is better. They are hard as a rock. Like marbles. Pics are day of harvest.

12 Likes

Ppfd average of 800 umols/s is more like point of diminishing returns on ambient co2. The actual nud size will depend on a ton of other variables. They look good, and they’re hard, should be a victory in my eyes. You have a dry harvest weight yet?

2 Likes

A lot of us are seeing late-flower foxtails which is usually attributed to these high intensity LED’s. That can affect the yield.

6 Likes

Do you believe foxtails are caused by lights being to close or to far away. Or just the lights being to intense

2 Likes

Too close and too intense is same under most context.

4 Likes

Too many photons bouncing around. Could be intensity as a result of distance from the light, or intensity from the light itself. @Myfriendis410 so far I have flowered two grows out now at 500W instead of my full power 630W, and I’ve still had that late foxtailing. I have some other thoughts on it, but not full formed yet. I might try going with 400W this grow and see what happens.

7 Likes

I second this, @Bogleg
I know we don’t have the same exact fixtures, but similar.
I flowered at only 500W (Out of possible 817W) and then the last 3 weeks I was at only 200W to slow the foxtailing a little. It didn’t seem to help at all. They just finished when they wanted.

6 Likes

I pulled my QB’s out of the flower tent and use 1 light@390w per plant. I was hermeing may plants." They sure grew good thought ".

2 Likes

I’m running 220 watts currently and don’t expect to go higher. That’s for a 2 X 3 footprint.

5 Likes

Is foxtailing all that bad if it’s useable herb? Maybe just squish it for oil?

I’m planning on flowering 2 plants in a 4x4 with 2x250w LEDs. Is it overkill?

2 Likes