Let's talk DIY lights

I agree, at least for what is currently available. cutter electronics has some stuff may be worth looking into

3 Likes

Plc normally take a while to get orders for heatsinks processed? Sent ■■■■■■ payment out about 7 days ago and havent heard anything back yet

1 Like

Ya, last I knew he was doing everything himself and there should’ve just been an order of strips coming in too.

1 Like

@dbrn32 - thinking about a light build (two, actually) sometime this summer. Wondering about the latest and greatest options (mindful of cost, of course). I’m thinking a combination of 4k and 3k strips or boards, re-using my COBs in these new lights (and perhaps also building a small footprint flower light with them), and some far reds. I’m thinking I need to cover two 5x5 spaces (really intending 6x6, but would only run 4x4 trays).

Thoughts on the diodes of choice for such a thing?

(Pssssst I got the green light from the wife to build out my two rooms.)

5 Likes

Ok not a problem just last time i got email within a day confirming payment it came out next day but never confirmation maybe just a couple days behind no biggie still got about 2-3 weeks before I need, thank you

2 Likes

Shoot them email if you haven’t already. He is also pretty active on ig.

1 Like

Happy Birthday!

Good to hear wifey is on board with master plan. It’s hard to say what will be available next week, let alone in nect couple of months. It’s a good enough reason to stay liquid for now in my opinion. But, if you’re thinking about mixing, I would look more at going with colder cct and adding supplemental reds. Have you seen the distribution graph on Samsung’s horticulture L2 modules?

2 Likes

I haven’t - I have a lot of research to do. I literally just looked at the Spydr spectrums for the first time yesterday. I’ll check them out.

2 Likes

Looks like this, and cct comes in little over 5000k

2 Likes

Happy B- Day ! :shaved_ice: :ice_cream: :doughnut:

2 Likes

Hmm… just an FYI, I am also strongly considering CO2 augmentation for the two spaces (tanks and regulators), and also over spec so I can dim, of course.

Thanks @zparkie2!

2 Likes

Sounds like it would justify a little extra juice. The small light, how small are you thinking? Like your 2x2?

3 Likes

Yeah - for breeding in the 2x2. Once I build these two new fixtures (or buy them, if I find the price point and all that I like), I would also then have the four 60W 3500K boards available. So I would want the following lights all told:

• Flower-capable lights for two 6x6 sealed rooms with 4x4 flood trays
  • Flower-capable light for 2x2 breeding tent
  • Clone station light
  • Seedling station light

I will likely set up shelves to handle the clones and seedlings in the larger finished space at some point, but until then I’ll utilize a 4x4 tent for this purpose so I can better deal with atmosphere. First phase of the build will be the two sealed rooms, followed by a larger (roughly 10x12) area for my “lab” and storage.

Something like that as a general concept.

On-hand I have the four 60w 3500k boards, a 100w 3k board, and the 15 COBs (also 3k).

4 Likes

I always get excited when I see build outs. Makes me compare them to my own ideas.

5 Likes

You could use the 4 boards for shelving. Split them to two boards per shelf. If you want separate drivers so you can run independently let me know.

5 cobs and a single driver would knock that out of the park, if you want to anyway. Drop one in the middle and 1 in each corner. Other spaces are large enough that they are wide open. If you want to incorporate cobs, you can drop 1 in each corner. Or you could build out one space primarily in cobs and we can add a little to it, then build out the other from scratch.

I’m assuming you have already decided that you want more than hlg-100 for flowering out 2x2?

5 Likes

Happy Birthday @Bogleg! We don’t see much of you lately.

I was thinking someone (@Covertgrower?) that built a fixture with far red active the beginning and end of light cycle. Not sure if you would like that capability…

4 Likes

Yes, I would definitely like that functionality. :slight_smile:

Thinking I might open a journal on this side - might keep me more regular about actually managing the plants. :smiley:

5 Likes

Happy Birthday…smoke a few bowls today or joints. Whatever is your delivery. :+1:

2 Likes

I’m probably okay with it for that purpose.

I really like the idea of splitting the four 3500K boards up into two each and running them on two shelves for seedlings and clones.

What do you think of the Spydr PhysioSpec indoor spectrum?

2 Likes

Happy Birthday @Bogleg! Tag me into your journal when you start it :wink::v::bear:

3 Likes