Let's talk DIY lights

Ok @dbrn32 let’s say I wanted to take my 135 and add strips round the edges because my tent is 2.5’x2.5’, so there’s an extra six inches in each direction not getting the best coverage. So if I centered the QB and built a square of strips from plc around the perimeter how would I wire that all together and would I get a bigger driver to power the extra strips and QB or would I want another seperate driver powering the strips?

2 Likes

I would probably look at doing something like this. You can use qb 120 or qb 132.

1 Like

Operating voltage and current on plc strips is too different to run on same driver as a qb288. How many strips are you thinking, like two? I can find you a separate driver for the strips.

2 Likes

I was thinking four.

I was thinking setting them up like this. If I have to use a separate driver tho it’s not as cost effective as I thought it would be.

2 Likes

135 kit come with constant voltage driver, so not compatible with different leds on same circuit.

4 Likes

Thank you for the build suggestion. I believe this is what I’m looking for, just need to come up with some material for a frame. I’ll be getting the stuff together and will let you guys know what I end up with and how the build goes etc. Thanks again!!!

4 Likes

Thanks for getting back to me. I hate to keep asking stuff, but is there a specific driver brand or model you guys might recommend if I go with 4-pack of QB132v2?? I was looking at the Meanwell HLG-240H but being new to this, I’m just trying to make sure I don’t purchase something incompatible, or over/underpowered.

Thanks much.

3 Likes

I might as well ask this too: I notice when I check out the info. on the QB132 V2s, it says no heatsink required and specifies it’s not compatible with the slate heatsinks that HLG sells–do I need to look into a heatsink anyway?

3 Likes

No heatsink for qb 120 or qb 132 is correct, they don’t need heatsink due to pcb size and chip spacing.

For 4 qb 132 you want meanwell hlg-240h-c1750a. Wire boards in series on that driver.

3 Likes

Thank you @dbrn32 for the prompt replies on this. You and @Holmes have a been a huge help and have put me on the right track here and I appreciate it. I’ll post an update when I get the stuff and start my build. :star_struck: :cowboy_hat_face:

3 Likes

So I have the boards assembled into the frame. Thoughts?

Got the recommended equipment. 4x qb132 v2, hlg240h-c1750a, aluminum channel, 16awg solid core copper wire, wagos. Series wired.

9 Likes

I did same thing works great

8 Likes

Do you have that dialed back a bit for what you’re doing there or is that full blast?

3 Likes

Looks great!

3 Likes

@crickets712 the cameras always adjust for the lighting, I assure you that you’ll be blinded when you turn it on.

5 Likes

I run at like 50-70% during veg i currently have 7 plants under 4 boards

5 Likes

This is my QB 132 fixture

Its 12 boards divided into groups of 4, all being ran at 1750ma for about 720w. About to add 660nm/380nm supplements from Cutter electronics

As far as distance from plants I keep mine around 24" got them vegging in there at the moment. Running at about 60%

14 Likes

Package got here this morning just waiting for heat sinks to come in.

11 Likes

Are you combining these with anything else or are you doing a straight 8 board build.

5 Likes

I have 4 rspec boards and 8 132s. I plan on running 4 rspec board and plc strip in my 8×4 to flower 6×4. Wanted to try something different then r specs. Compare direct lighting ect. I thought about uv strips between rows but don’t think it’s worth it.

5 Likes