Let's talk DIY lights

Thanks bro!! :metal::metal:

4 Likes

Hi @dbrn32,
What do you think about this type of QB? It’s manufactured in China and will be shipped from there also so… 100% China stuff for around 135$.

3 Likes

Good to see you around!

Some of those vendors have been really good. At least one of them has been caught using cheaper LEDs than they advertised. I would research the vendor and see what their reputation is.

4 Likes

Okay, I will search for it…
Thank you for the quick response :+1:

3 Likes

No problem, hope things are going well!

@Amjk, this is thread you were looking for?

2 Likes

Thankyou :slight_smile:

3 Likes

"From phytochrome to photosynthesis: How whole-plant measurements are overturning old paradigms*
Dr Bruce Bugbee @dbrn32 Only an hour six minutes long, sound gets better after a few minutes. His lab is in my neighborhood.
I really wish I was younger and could make this my field of study.

3 Likes

Oops forgot the link @dbrn32

4 Likes

@dbrn32,

Got my boards and driver:

• 2 x 288V1 boards with heat sinks $66 from Horticultural Lighting Group (3500K)
  • 1x HLG-240H-C2100A from onlineMeanwell $57

According to the instructions they should be wired in series. What gauge and type of wire should I use? Driver will be mounted next to boards, so max run of 12”.

Also, if I wanted to remote Mount the driver could I use stranded to create a more flexible cable from driver to boards?

Thank you for all your help

2 Likes

Did HLG send any wire with the boards? Should be solid core wire capable of high DC voltage. Yes they are wired in series. PS- to B1+, B1- to B2+, B2- to PS+.

1 Like

@WickedAle thank you.

No wire sent. DIY, but maybe I didn’t dig deep enough in the box.

18 gauge solid core?

1 Like

20 gauge as marked on wire. My 18 gauge cutter doesn’t cut the wire. My boards were sent DIY but they also sent some wire.

You can use stranded, it’s just a little more difficult to get into connectors. If you do that, best policy is to tin the tips of wire. I would shoot for 18awg make sure voltage rating is high enough, try not to locate driver any further than needed.

4 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

@dbrn32 hello , was trying to find info on ilgm if anyone uses
Full Spectrum Grow Light LED Bulb - 15W (actual 12w) | Aluminium| E27 (hydro experts)for the corners of a 5x5 area that has a 600 watt hps already,
The light readings drop alot in the corners,does anyone do this at all and would they even make any difference ? . tks again. : :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m sure someone does, but I couldn’t say who. A single 12 watt bulb probably isn’t going to make that big of a difference. I would look for something more like 40-50 watts.

3 Likes

Hey little buddy, I was looking at the HLG 600. Noticed it’s only about 15x30 inches and does 5x5. Make me understand why the light isn’t larger. As you know, I recently got larger reflectors for my dinosaurs. Could the lights not be positioned differently to make it bigger overall? Maybe I’m not understanding how lights work, just seems to me they would be stronger DIRECTLY under the light

3 Likes

@dbrn32 I was wondering how far from
The new light set up two HLG260XL I have that I should be keeping my plants? I’m running out of vertical space and I’m about to flip to flowering this week and don’t wanna burn them.

2 Likes

Ya, they say up to a 5x5 which I wouldn’t really consider it a great light for a 5x5. But its basically a reference to the overall output of light over the area. So when they say up to a 5x5 that means that fixture will make the minimum required DLI for the space.

2 Likes