Let's talk DIY lights

Neither of those have high enough voltage. For 4 q.v. 132’s in that space I’d try hlg-185h-c1400a at biggest. 2’ isn’t a lot of height. Wire boards in series.

@dbrn32
You are on it with the response bro, Thanks.
For that size, should I run all 4 or less ?

1 Like

i think that would be good, rather than a single fixture. right?

1 Like

It’s the height that worries me more than anything. If it was 2x2x4 you would be golden. But you’ll have dimming control, so I’m sure you can make it work.

ok. where to start?

1 Like

Depends on if you physically want them to go in a 2x4 or not really.

I like the qb 132 at 50 watts per board as posted above. But two rows of 4 is a little weak in 4x4. The issue with strips in 4x4 is that 1120mm just barely fit making it a hassle to adjust. The 560mm put you in same boat end to end, and leave edges weak side to side. 280mm strips you’d need an awful lot of, so not really practical.

If you want strips, I’d say 4 lights in the 150ish watt neighborhood about 24”x16” configured like this is probably your best bet.

Two of those wouldn’t fit great in a 2x4 though, so that needs to be considered. If that’s an issue, two xl 260 kits from hlg is easy money. Or possibly two lights running the two of the new qb 96 each. But they would need to be run high for coverage.

1 Like

according to hlg website i could use 2x 260s or 2x 320. they say both are.good for 2x4 flowering. it seems like getting the bigger light is a good idea, but ur thinking coverage isnt ideal?

1 Like

So 4 132’z with a hlg-185h-c1400a will get my new light setup on a roll ?
Well alright…!!
I will hunt that driver down. Now according to hlg they say the 132’z do not need heatsink, what’s your input ?

I also seen that in my first post to you, you said I can run the hlg-240h-c1750a.
Now could I also get that driver and dim it down for now till I get more height to play with ?

You could go with the 320 kits, but 260 kits are adequate. Up to you there really.

No heatsink is fine, they cool themselves via the pcb.

Both drivers work. Personally I think you’ll have a hard time running the 1400ma driver on full power due to lights being right on top of the canopy. So I don’t see spending extra money on bigger driver making a lot of sense.

the 600h is on sale for $692 and the 550 is on sale for about 800, after 20%off. lots of options. also i emailed mars lights and they may send me a light to use and review

2 Likes

Hlg-550 or 600 kit aren’t going to fit in smaller tent. Is s good option if that’s not likely to happen. The discount on 550 is pretty solid too. It’s a more rigid light than the 600 kit.

There’s a lot of ways you can go to get kick ass lighting in there. Any of the options would be really good as far as I’m concerned.

1 Like

when i asked mars about sending me a light i told them i want to flower 4x4 so maybe theyll send me something fancy… i know i swore off blurple but hey if its free…

2 Likes

You never pass up free shit. See what they send and we can take a look from there.

2 Likes

Haha I did the same. We’ll see what they say. They replied back pretty fast then said they’d be in touch after they looked everything over.

2 Likes

hlg has a 550 v1 refurb for 599, good deal or plan ok v2

2 Likes

I hadn’t seen that. Is there any difference in warranty? My guess is they tossed boards and driver on recycled heatsink. It would probably be fine.

1 Like

black friday deals from chill led…
puck
heatsink
thermal stuff
allscrews for 60$ each

3 Likes

Oh shit, that’s a deal! How many you getting? Lol

2 Likes