Let's talk DIY lights

4000k is good for veg.

1 Like

Guess I’d better be buying before he runs out of those. I think they’re only $9 a piece, so I’ll buy 8 of them.

1 Like

Planning on more light or lights in the near future. I’ve read quite a bit. I’m just not real good with electric. I did burry and figure out my dogs in ground fence. That’s about the extent of my electrical knowledge goes. Currently I grow autoflower. They’re easy to grow in my 32"×32"×63" tent. I can’t go higher and moving it isn’t an option right now with the 15 year old at home. Currently I have a king plus 1200w. (approx 235watt) and a viparspectra 300 watt ( approx 134) dimmable 2 channels. The later works great for the short veg. …I think. I have always grown 2 autos under with the exception of my current grow I have one blueberry autoflower under both lights hoping for better yield. I thought about building my own or maybe doing what upgrades maybe could be done after I watch enough YouTube videos. Or I can take the easy probably safer way and get pre assembled. Looking at HLG 320w xw QB in 3000k. Seems like it would fit my tent nice. Flower foot print is 3.5x3.5 and I like dimmable. What’s your thoughts?

I think that’s a bigger light than you need. When you get into the super high end leds, even 250-300 watts in a 3x3 will pound out a tent full of gorgeous really hard nugs. Being a little smaller than 3x3, is prime for a diy build. You don’t really need to be an electrician to do them either. The electrical side is most intimidating for average grower, but it’s probably the easiest part of a diy build. Especially if you spend a couple extra dollars buying specific components. Pretty much makes it so you can get a professional looking fixture with skills had by a typical homeowner. Even the members who have ran into an issue or two building I’m sure would agree.

If qb 120’s are still available in 4 packs on amazon you can build a kick ass light for that space for under $250. It was like $130 for 4 boards, $60 driver. On top of that, you’d around 10’ or so of aluminum angle, a small spool of hookup wire, power cord, connectors, and a few dollars worth of hardware.

3 Likes

I think I saw those 120s on Amazon. I have some old metal closet materials maybe I could use that to mount them?

My hubby works maintenance at a hospital and knows a bunch of electrical. He fixes the surgery lights and stuff . He would help if needed but he’s not real interested when I bring it up lol.
He probably has a lot of the extras like heat tape and wires and connectors lying around. I will have to you tube some videos. I do like that price better. What driver would you recommend and hopefully dimmable?

2 Likes

The max amt of plants I’ll do is 3 autos. I’ll wait until my son grows up and moves out before I go bigger and try photos

2 Likes

Going diy is really simple. I did mine diy and am very happy. If you let @dbrn32 steer you through any rough spots it’s worth the effort.

2 Likes

Ya, if you can get a 4 pack of the 120 boards in 3000k or 3500k would be ideal. Just make sure they’re not 132 boards with this driver. The driver would be hlg-240h-2100a. That driver would have the built in dimming pot, if that works. Arrow was giving 15% off if it was your first order too, I’d check stock there on driver first. They also ship overnight for free.

If you think that frame will be rigid enough, looks like it would work. If not, 1/8” angle is about $10 for 4’, you’d probably need 3 of them. You won’t need heat tape on this build. As far as wire and connectors go the wire you want is like $7 for 25’ spool, and that’s plenty. A power cord you can use whatever, like 3 wire 16awg outdoor extension cord will work. The connectors o was talking about would probably run $10-15, but make life really easy. One is waterproof barrel connector for power cord, the others would be like a 5 pack of 2 port wagos.

She would rock a 32”x32” for sure. It’s basically a different looking version of what @Budbrother has. The cost of strips and aluminum has just seemed to go up enough that this easier to build version is just as cost friendly.

2 Likes

I went the wago route on my build, and used an old power cord.

2 Likes

Thanks :v: sounds good. I’m sure I can handle it. I’ll order what I need Monday. Looks like Amazon only has 4000k in 120’s. They have the 132 in 3500. What ya think? Christmas will be a lot brighter this year.

1 Like

And Which driver would I need?

So I’m up to jan25 in reading this thread and I know I still have a long ways to go if this thread is still active.
I would like to say that I have gained a lot of knowledge about cobs and qb’z and I would like to thank the Hard Hitterz of the thread with the knowledge👍
@dbrn32 my question is what driver would be a good fit for the QB132 as a single board and also if I linked 2 or 3 together ?
I’m looking at buying the set of 4…
Any help would be appreciated✌

2 Likes

This may be the most active thread on here lol.

4 Likes

This & Raustin’s thread

4 Likes

Raustin has more. She has 350messages a day minimum. Mostly people who don’t want to get a buzz alone. But 350 nonetheless.

2 Likes

Much appreciated! The 132 is 36v board max current 2 amps I think. Hlg-185h-c1400a and hlg-240h-c1750a would be most common driverscto run 4 boards. I’m not aware of a driver that will run 1 or 3. Not practically anyway. You can run a bunch from s constant voltage driver 2 amps would be max for one board. You can wire a bunch of boards to it, but each additional board will divide the current. Three boards on a driver Like that would only run at roughly 23 watts each, and that’s kind of a waste.

1 Like

Check with hlg on the 120 boards. In my opinion they’re configured a little better for your space. Send them email or whatever, sometimes they have them but not listed on amazon.

1 Like

Thanks, email sent.

1 Like

If not, You can go hlg-240h-c1750a for 4 qb 132. Like I said, I’m just a little more partial to the qb 120, and the 2100ma driver too. If they don’t have them, the 132 is technically a more efficient board. So it’s not like you’re losing anything there.

3 Likes

I’ve watched some you tube videos and really, the build of the frame will be the hardest part. The lights look very doable. I’m not in a hurry so I’ll wait on them to email me back and go from there. If your liking the 120 QB and that driver over the 132qb and driver, I trust and respect your opinion on the better lights for me. Waiting is no problem. My one girl is soaking up plenty from her 2 Amazon’s.
I found a HLG-240h-c2100a for $58. Sager, trc and jameco all have it. Arrow is out if stock. Thanks :v:

1 Like