Let's talk DIY lights

Generally speaking you would be correct. But I don’t think 1200ma is max current on the boards. I think 1200ma is the max recommended for passive cooling.

If they’re indeed the diodes claimed, I’m just thumb eyeballing to hlg specs. The hlg board is 15 parallel strings of 8 chips in series and has max current rating of 2800ma. Their plug and play model is cv driver 24v 2.5 amps. Standard operating current with diyers is 2100ma. This board 8 parallel strings of 16 diodes if the operating voltage is 48v. Which would put the chips at max current around 1400-1500ma depending on voltage bin used.

Long story short, the 1200ma max recommendation from manufacturer doesn’t seem out of line based on what we know about the more mainstream models. And choosing 1050ma for them would be in line with what most of us do with the 24v model from hlg at 2100ma.

1 Like

Then that’s probably about as good as you can get, in terms of efficiency. I thought he was considering running them at maximum power.

Thanks for the input @1BigFella. I’m also planning on dimming the the lights to see if there is a sweet spot, but as I’m just starting out it’s going to be a while before I’ll be buying a par meter to see how the lights are actually doing.

It’s a long road ahead. I need to get the whole setup dialled in and get a decent harvest to pay back the investment first. And that might take a while. I’m going to keep a grow journal on the forum, so with some expert advice, good genetics and some luck I might just pull this off…

1 Like

Ok I have a marshydro 600w led and says it covers 3’x2.5’ my tent is 31x31"x6’ now I have another of the same size wanting to use both cause I have 4 widows in tent and ones not enough but now I think 2 might be to much but I see lights as big as 1000w LEDs for grows the same size or alil smaller. Am I over doing it?

1 Like

I think 2 would be just about right.

1 Like

@dbrn32 I’m converting a friend to leds. For a 13x4 how many 560s would he need and driver. I tried to scroll up but that’s a lot of posts to rummage through. Lol. He has 3 1000watt hids now. Which seems excessive and hot as…
I think strip build would be the cheapest for this. But how big of an are do the q96s cover. He keeps asking for best vs cheap. I’m deferring to you cause of the expertise. Thanks .

1 Like

I think 2 will do alright, you may have to keep them a bit higher off the canopy though.

2 Likes

I havent found an area for the qb96, I would imagine at 150w-200w they would easily do 2’x2’ maybe slightly bigger so 14 of them? Unless I’m doing that wrong.
Strips might be a bit cheaper because you can buy then in bulk.

3 Likes

that’s not cheap. Lol.

1 Like

13 x 4 feet: He has 3000 watts of HID now. He would need about 2600 watts of typical Amazon LEDs. I don’t know what a “560s” is so I have no idea what their wall drawn watts are. But if they are 100 watts, then you need 26 of them, assuming they are the usual hyped Amazon lights. If they are really good lights, then they would be more efficient. You only need about 1600 watts of high-efficiency LEDs like EB strips or Timber lights.

Most of the LED lights on Amazon are not much better than HID bulbs, in terms of efficiency.

560 are strips. So 35watts a square I’m assuming. 13x4 =52sqf x 35w= 1820. Strips are 700mA at 120 watts? So 84 watts? Idk divided into 1820 would be 21 strips. @Aolelon @dbrn32 ?

1 Like

Bridgelux Gen 2 EB series strips with 175 lumens per watt, so 35 watts per square foot would be terrific. Digikey says 700 ma at 39 volts, so that is 27.3 watts. You would need 67 of those strips. $14.54 each when you buy that many, so $974 total.

That’s running them at half maximum current. But you could run them at full power, and get a bit less efficiency. Not bad, though. Then you would need drivers that can supply 1.4 amps.

F-series strips (single row) are only 25w as well, so you would need a bunch of them, I would imagine making s couple fixtures for each 4x4 space or so, which would make it much easier.
I would say 48 strips for 3 4x4 spaces. Or something around that number

1 Like

This california light works 440 is this a lamp to buy?? I maby need 3 of them in my space.
My space is 3.5 long and 2 bre and 2.40 high to roof.
I have 3 pices 600w hps now and 1 pice 1650w led.

Arrow still has pretty good deal on the double row f-series 560’s. May be worth looking at doing a series of lights with them. Especially if they’re still running 15 off.

1 Like

Part number? Glad she went in to look. It glows!!

1 Like

3000K: SI-B8V521560WW

Double row f series

2 Likes

0 in stock. Not ordering 150(i wish) what about 3500?

I think the 4000k was all they had in stock.

1 Like

Sorry. Pull up data sheet and you can copy paste part numbers into search bar

1 Like