Let's talk DIY lights

Ok, so the configuration of the diodes is a little different than hlg boards. No biggie there… I would recommend going with 6 boards in series on hlg-320h-c1050a per 3x3. It’s a little more than you need, but going with 4 is a little light. And I like the way the circuit behaves if there’s an issue when the the boards are series connected on constant current driver.

They’ll grow weed for sure. If you’re happy with the performance on them you should be good too go.

1 Like

I’m stuck at 31x31 tent so yes they are great. But I love reading about all the shop talk I want to build a light I mean physically ill build the hell of a light to tell u what it could do for your grow :exploding_head::exploding_head::exploding_head:

1 Like

That’s a pretty easy space to build for

Ok this is what I’m doing right now

is there a full spec DIY light that I could look into

Something like what @Budbrother has. 14 bridgelux eb gen2 on hlg-185h-c700a. Or Samsung f series build around 200 watts.

One of my light sections would fit perfect in there. Maybe add a couple more strips to it. 23"x24"

Just a idea for a layout that would fit in there.

6 Likes

Did you break down cost per fixture?

Roughly $160 each.

2 Likes

they looks dry, bro

2 Likes

I love mine

5 Likes

If it could be done again for $160 would be cheaper than doing with current pricing on eb’s.

You had discount code from arrow and got on those sammy’s When they were $12 right?

1 Like

Yeah discount code plus I bought 25 so got a break there to. I’m still thinking it could be done in the sub $200 range. The EB strips might be better at the lower amount though. Have to look and see.

1 Like

There plenty wet I watered them after

Okay I’m getting ready to pull the trigger. My budget is blown - current quote is $475. Since the shipping stays roughly the same if I order 6 or 12 boards, so i’m just going to order the whole thing now instead of paying an extra $110 shipping later if I split it up now.

Since I have 6 boards per 3x3, I can customise the colour spectrum. At the start I was thinking 3000k for all the boards, since i’m going from veg to flower, but now I’m wondering if I shouldn’t mix it up. What would you have done?

Lastly, I should also get a dimming controller for each of the HLG-320H-C1050Bs, right? Is there a specific type that I should request?

I can’t thank you enough for your advice and guidance this far. I really appreciate it man!

2 Likes

Just thought about this now. What would the ideal space be for 12 QB120s? I haven’t cut a single board yet for the cabinet, so I can make it bigger. Or should I just stick with the original 6x3 design?

1 Like

Make the space what you need, you’ll have lighting for up to about 20 square feet so 3’x6’ is about perfect.

Usually when doing larger rooms there’s a quantity discount involved over so many pieces of the same part number. So in order that take advantage of that we’ll make them all the same. I would say just get all 3000k or all 3500k if that’s the case. Either are plenty good for seed to harvest growing. Not sure if they have 90cri options, but that would be worth looking at.

The hlg-320h-c1050a has a built in dimmer, that would be plenty of control for your space. And it doesn’t require any extra components or wiring.

2 Likes

That makes sense, thanks. The current quote is for C1050B drivers. Does that also have the built in dimmer or should I ask for the C1050A?

No you want the one that ends in A. The B driver just has external dimming leads, that’s the one that would require extra components and wiring.

1 Like

Running a 1200 ma board at 1200 ma

Generally, this is not the best design in the long run. Look at the lumens/watt (or other measure of light output/watt) of the board, strip, or COB at different currents. They may be very efficient at half maximum current and not so efficient at maximum current. If you plan on running the light for 10 years, the extra electricity may make it worthwhile to get twice as many boards, strips, or COBs now and run them at half current. The payback period might be as short as a single grow!