Let's talk DIY lights

What other house hold lights would I need I’m haveing to go the cheapest route my first grow or 2

How big of a space?

It’s a closet about 4ft long 2 foot back and 8 ft tall that’s all the spcae I’ve got to work with so I’m only growing 2 autoflowers because I have no idea what to expect when the get bigger or how wide they will get

1 Like

If you’re lighting the space, it takes about 8 23 watt cfl’s to veg a 2x2. A21 led bulbs with diffusers removed would probably do better. But really comes down to how much you’ll spend getting that together. For a couple dollars more you may be able to put yourself together something a lot better.

This is what I got it started stretching so I put up the stick for support and lowered the light

Looks like warm white bulb, what is color temp? For vegging you’ll do better with something in the 4000k-6500k range.

Again I’m new this is my very first run I’ve got 4 clfs T5 each 23 wats 120 Vols and 1640 lumens

None of those are what I was asking. Look at the print on the bulbs, specifically that one in picture above.

1 Like

If you’re really into diy, you could build a light fixture out of a sheet of aluminum that’s the size of your area and slap mulitple rubber light sockets on it about a foot apart and buy 8 led bulbs 15 watt 3500k and cut the diffuser off of them. I started growing with CFLs, but they just put off too much heat.

You could also buy a fixture off of Amazon that holds 6 bulbs and do something with that
If you’re going to use T5s, I suggest buying 54watt 6500k HO bulbs. They are great for veg

1 Like

@dbrn32, my Golden Retriever puppies are finally here and they’re all sold already so I’ll have money to build a ridiculous light in a few weeks.

I think I’m going to use the 2 lights I’ve already built in the veg room and retire the T5s.
Because I basically have a perpetual grow, I’m going to have to consider what I can build that can be used to account for the different plant heights.

I know you’ve seen my room at least a few times. I’m going to relocate the door, so I’ll have 4x6 to work with. I know you’ve been talking about quantum boards a lot lately. I personally like the intensity of the COBs. They penetrate deep into the plants. It doesn’t matter to me which tech I use. I just want a light(s) that gives me dense buds and big buds. I have the big bud part under control pretty much, but sometimes I’m getting airy buds.

7 Likes

PUPPIES!!! :heart_eyes:

They’re adorable.

2 Likes

This is my first litter from the dark one (Baron) and the one standing in front (Grace). People really love their puppies. My wife has God knows how many views on Facebook. I was shocked that they were all gone in 4 days. Thanks Facebook.

7 Likes

Beautiful doggies. I used to have a golden.

1 Like

Sorry @dbrn32 didn’t mean to highjack the thread.

1 Like

Oops, sorry, @dbrn32.

2 Likes

I picked them because unless you hurt them, they will not hurt you.

2 Likes

That is so true. They are the most wonderful dogs.

2 Likes

No worries @OldSkunk @raustin, I’ll allow it for puppies lol. Just as long as they’re bigger than cats when full grown.

4 Likes

I usually go to the boards because they’re very easy for average person to put together and use, especially when growing in s tent. Personally I have no preference what anyone grows with. I try to give get the best fit for each individual as possible.

So whatever you want to do I’m 100% on board with trying to find the best way to do it. Hlg has new light coming out end of month. It’s a board, but more cob like. And the next newest things would be the chilled pucks, v2 qb’s, and new cree cobs I think are called cmt or cma.

If you want cobs for sure, I’d probably still consider vero 29c’s or luminous cxm 22’s and we can play with current some for efficiency if you want. I think those chilled pucks and new hlg light would give you more of cob like performance too, or you could look at doing a mixture of any of them.

3 Likes

We can use me for the guinea pig. I’m definitely going after passive cooling. Then I can train the fans on the plants. I had mildew inside the main cola on a beautiful WW the last time because I didn’t have enough air on my flowers. I’ll do a Grow journal on this next light and we can all see what it can do.

2 Likes