Let's talk DIY lights

Much easier build

They both look good and will/should grow you some nice buds

I’m not sure I like mounting cobs on factory pcb. Hopefully won’t be an issue.

Looky what showed up today :sunglasses:

5 Likes

Nice! Expecting a package from them tomorrow.

Arrow must be busy from all the orders they get from here… they should be kicking back a percentage to ILGM and @dbrn32 for all of it lol. I have my driver’s coming tomorrow from them. Then it’s just heatsink from heatsinkusa and I’ll be building my light. Should be next week for them.

2 Likes

Hahahaha, I could use a little kick back sure! Just out of curiosity, we’re you able to use the 15% code on the drivers? I ordered a few over the weekend and couldn’t get code to apply.

1 Like

Nope. I got the discount on my Samsung strips when I got them. But no discount on drivers. I thought about calling and asking but considering they were already competitively priced and then add free shipping I won’t complain.

1 Like

They were running a code, not really sure what the issue was. I emailed them, haven’t heard back though.

Well let me know if they give it to you. I would gladly take the $20 extra back lol. I’m figuring it is one of those deals where it doesn’t apply to everything. I tried the same code I used for the strips and it said code applied but the price stayed the same.

1 Like

Probably, they’ve always worked on drivers in past so thought I would try. I’ll let you know.

1 Like

room is now full of lights 4x6 grow!!!

6 Likes

New problem 3 parts.

1. new light=more heat and more humidity
    Hopefully this equalizes at lights on it’s will really suck if the AC can’t keep up!
    Question which adds to all parts of problem. Can I up the room temp from 88 to 92 since I’m runningCO2? I’ve read that’s the point of the CO2.

2. increased heat humidity should I be full on nutes I’m at 1600ppm but with the new lights and more heat come more humidity and increases mute concentrations in the soil.

3. soil temp. Watering at 65degrees is the only relief I see for temp reduction. They have an airdome with out of the growroom air. I guess I could cool that? I’ve read to have the room drop to 75 at lights out how do I time that? Can’t think of that set up🤬

today, yesterday, Sunday. How does it look?

2 Likes

And the CO2 tank is empty. Put a bottle of CO2 from amazon in there we will see if it works. I bought it just to see for those that don’t want to buy a tank. It claims 1200ppm for 2 weeks in a 8x8 room. It will give me time to fill up CO2. To be honest though, now that I can check the area outside my grow is at 1200-1500ppm CO2. Super insulated, no fresh air flow I guess. The room drops from 1500-600 in 6hours.

1 Like

You’d have to check vpd charts for that stuff. I barely understand it, let all n have it memorized or can explain it. Sorry.

You’re definitely set up well on lighting though.

That’s beautiful!!! Nice work!!!

The problem with having a lot of LEDs with good heat sinks, is that the heat gets transferred to the chamber air. 1000 watts of HID puts out exactly the same amount of heat as 1000 watts of LEDs. The temperature near the HID bulb is higher, but if you spread that heat throughout the chamber with a fan, the chamber air will be the same as with the LEDs. The solution is to vent the heat away. Some growers just put a honking big vent fan in at the top of the chamber and send the hottest air outside. Of course, this is not compatible with CO2: All the CO2 gets vented continuously and replaced by normal house air. It’s also not very useful if you have an air circulation fan that mixes the air before it gets vented: The hot air can’t collect at the top of the chamber because it is all mixed together.

One reasonable solution for CO2, is not to vent. You use an air conditioner to remove excess heat, but don’t change the air much, which keeps the CO2 in. For non-CO2 setups, a solution is to duct the heat right out of the light fixtures and send it outside. Some late model HID fixtures featured a “cool tube”: A clear plastic tube with the bulb inside, that connected to an air duct and fan. You can do the same trick with LED heat sinks.

My LED heat sinks are fairly small because they transfer heat into an air duct, instead of the ambient chamber air. All the heat goes out through a system of ducts, an inline fan, and an outlet to the outside. In winter time, the heat goes into another room and heats my house! I never had to turn on my furnace last winter.

2 Likes

This is so confusing to a light newbie like me.

If you don’t try to add CO2 it’s pretty simple. Your plants need light, water, and nutrients. You can buy a cheap lux meter on Amazon for less than 20 bucks. If you are getting 60,000 lux at the plant tops, your light is great. Water when the pot gets light, or when you can stick your finger in a couple of inches and it’s dry. Buy some grow and some bloom nutrients. There are many suppliers out there. Follow their schedule. Always adjust the pH to 6.5 for soil and 5.8 for hydroponic. Download the free Grow Bible from this website.

Beware the cheap lights on Amazon. Typically you will need 50 watts per square foot with them. And that’s “watts drawn from the wall”, not some marketing hype “equivalent” watts. If you buy good stuff from Timber, HLG, Samsung, Bridgelux, Cree you can get by with more like 35 watts per square foot because the good stuff is more efficient.