Let's talk DIY lights

badass even replete with grommets for the wiring :metal:t2:

4 Likes

Someone who appreciates that extra labor @MattyBear

2 Likes

Those are the finer touches that a 20yr union electrician appreciates. Take pride in your work or dont do it at all…

3 Likes

I know he was mf’ing me the whole time after I suggested he do that, the whips were long enough to go around the plate. But will hold up to being moved better, and any shot that includes lights will look very clean.

2 Likes

I also see some insulated stand offs for the drivers that keep a gap between the plate and the heat generating drivers! The only suggestion I could make would be to cap the unused output leads with small blue wire nuts and bond the aluminum plates with the AC input ground for safety (hlg doesnt even do this). Otherwise very very clean. kudos

1 Like

Those are the dimmer leads. He’s working on that, but didn’t have anything to do it with. Which reminds me, I need to find my box of pot’s and find a couple of 100k lol.

The driver is case grounded and bolted, that’s why hlg doesn’t do it. We’re on the same page it not being the same as bonding strap though. The reason it’s not as big of a deal is because of the driver protections. In this case, even a couple of volts leakage would throw those drivers out of constant current mode and indicate a problem. More than that the driver will just turn off.

3 Likes

Thanks for all your tips and appreciation! I was texting Rob the whole time on the first one and I whipped the second one together super quick! Once more people see it only takes a few hours or a few days to build your own and can customize to their tents (like a lot of folks are doing now) the power companies would lose a lot of money from the stoners haha

5 Likes

Hey @MattyBear you got it going on with this new light you have can’t wait to see the finished product as it will be awesome

1 Like

anyone have a link for dual sided heat transfer tape?

What size?

What gap can the 560 strips have between them? This work?

4 Likes

560 mm bridge lux strips

1 Like

Yes 560 bridgleux strips

They look good like that! You could have them right next to each other if you wanted, but I like them how they are now :v:

1 Like

Here’s a link to transfer tape. They have multiple sizes to fit whatever width your strips are :v:

BCP 1roll 15mm x 25m Double Side Adhesive Thermal Conductive Tape for Heatsink LED

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01LYO3PK9/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_xVePBbV1JVQ7R

2 Likes

thank you my brotha from anotha motha!

1 Like

I’m building two fixtures with more output, better spectrum, and 1/2 the cost of the hlg

2 Likes

Nice! The one I just built should produce so pretty fire buds and I can run them super close to the canopy because I spaced them out more to fill both pieces of aluminum so I’d have wall to wall coverage :wink:

1 Like

I’ll be sure to post the build when my parts arrive…

1 Like

If you’re getting bridgelux strips I’d go with the 20mm tape. The link Matt posted above is for 15mm wide. His strips aren’t as wide as the bridgelux.

2 Likes